Can I create an indicator to show a certain High and Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I create an indicator to show a certain High and Low

I am trying to get an indicator to plug into my charts that will plot with a small line the high and low of a specific time frame.
    I have a 1 min chart and would like to be able to have horizontal lines on the high and low of the first 30 minutes of the market open. Right now I am back testing something and I have to manually draw the line for each day. I have included an example in the picture.
    Does anyone know how to plug this in? Is there an indicator that I can manipulate to give me this?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 12-09  11_10_2009 (1 Min).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	892723

Hello Doug,

Thank you for your post.

You can use the Constant Lines indicator. If you right click on the chart and then select Indicators. Highlight the Constant Indicators and then hit the new button.

From there you will want to set up the parameters for the indicator lines.

You can then save that indicator to a template, but for each day you would want to change the indicator parameters.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This indicator can be used as well

Hello Doug,

the CMIPivotsDailyDashV80, which is posted here http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...catid=1&id=136

allows you to display High, Low, Close and Pivots based on an intraday session. You will want to set the indicator to IntradaySession = true and CalcFromIntradayData = true.

Please set session times in the indicator panel. If your instrument is ES, you would set session begin S_Begin_CME_Index to 8:30 (Central Time), and S_End_CME_Index to 9:00 (Central Time), which is the first half hour of the stock market. For listed instrument use timezone of exchange. Only if your instrument is not listed, you need to set LocalSession = true, and enter session times via S_Begin-Local and S_End_Local by using the timezone of your system clock.

Unselect midpivots and set any lines that you do not want to see to transparent. Select the width of the lines via indicator panel.

Comment

Thank you both for posting.
        I was not able to find out how to set the parameters in the Constant Lines and there is no instruction for them in the users guide.
        Harry, I loaded the CMI and made the changes and it is pretty close to perfect.
        Thanks again

Comment

Hello doug.ragan,

You will need to enter values for the ConstantLines indicator in the Indicator menu. Highlight the indicator and you should be able to enter values on the right side under 'Line#Value'.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

what to do with download to turn it into an indicator?

Hello, I downloaded the link in the quoted portion, namely:

but I don't know what to do to turn it into an indicator. I'm sure there must be instructions somewhere---if someone could just point me in the right direction? Thanks!
            Tasuki

Originally posted by Harry View Post
            Hello Doug,

the CMIPivotsDailyDashV80, which is posted here http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...catid=1&id=136

allows you to display High, Low, Close and Pivots based on an intraday session. You will want to set the indicator to IntradaySession = true and CalcFromIntradayData = true.

Please set session times in the indicator panel. If your instrument is ES, you would set session begin S_Begin_CME_Index to 8:30 (Central Time), and S_End_CME_Index to 9:00 (Central Time), which is the first half hour of the stock market. For listed instrument use timezone of exchange. Only if your instrument is not listed, you need to set LocalSession = true, and enter session times via S_Begin-Local and S_End_Local by using the timezone of your system clock.

Unselect midpivots and set any lines that you do not want to see to transparent. Select the width of the lines via indicator panel.

Comment

The download file is a .zip file. Save this somewhere. Then you start NinjaTrader. Go to File -> Utilities -> Import and select the file you downloaded. Then import it.

There are now two versions of this indicator, one is the SessionPivots indicator for Ninjatrader 6.5, the other one is for NinjaTrader 7. You will find both in the Indicator section of this forum. You will also find instructions there, how to use and download them.

Follow this link for download, it is better as it includes the instructions.

Comment

Hello Doug,

Harry, the indicator you listed, CMIPivotsDailyDashV80, is not included in the link you gave, and the seven indicators that are present are much too complicated for me to understand. All I want is a simple indicator that gives the first hour's high and low as horizontal lines across the chart (and the line should end at the end of each day). Is there any such indicator available for Ninjatrader?

Comment

Indicators have been updated since. It is called CMIPivotsDaySessionV84 now. With the correct settings it will display you the range.

Please find attached a copy already preset to display opening range. The only hardcoded difference is the line labels, which I changed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Harry,
                    Thanks for your continued help. Attached is a chart of my FHHL indicator (first hour's high and first hours low) on my Tradestation chart. This is what I'm trying to recreate in Ninjatrader so I can dump Tradestation. As you may know, the first hour's high and low are known as the "initial balance" in market profile terminology--I wouldn't trade without knowing these levels (at least not the ES).
                    I'll put my current best effort on Ninja in the next post.
                    Tasuki
                    Attached Files

Comment

Harry (or anyone else who might be interested),
                      Attached are two charts, or rather a chart and the indicator settings for that chart.
                      The five minute chart I always use is not a Globex chart (i.e. no overnight data) but rather it starts at 6:30 AM (California time) and ends at 1:15 PM (CA time again). Hence, when I went into the "User defined values" I thought I should use the "local time" begin and end. Even when I used the Globex Index begin and end I still couldn't get the indicator to give the correct first hours high and low. There's GOT to be something I'm missing--any push in the right direction would be much appreciated.
                      Also, it's really important to be able to see the initial balance (first hour's high and low) for previous days. Again, there might be a setting for this, but I'm too much of a Ninja-newbie to figure it out.

Many thanks again,
                      Tasuki
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tasuki,

you can try to set IntradaySession to "true". Depending on your timezone this might be necessary. Which is your timezone?

Obviously, this indicator was not designed to display the first hour range, I just thought that it could be used for this.....

If you want an indicator that really does this in the way the tradestation indicator works, it should be designed for this purpose. Will be much easier for NT7, because there are sessions defined via the session templates.

Comment

Found this in the indicator download section of this forum, may better suit you:

Comment

Found this in the indicator download section of this forum, may better suit you:

http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...catid=1&id=257

Hot diggity, Harry. That's exactly what I need. Hasta la vista, Tradestation
                            Tasuki

Comment

This link doesn't work anymore...please repost

Thank you.

D

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:55 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes