ZenFire lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZenFire lag

Started looking closely at the ZenFire timestamps compared to when I actually receive them (local CPU clock sync'd to NIST). Most of the time (>90%), I receive them within 1 second. Often, when things get busy, I notice a lag that can be greater than 1 minute! I wrote an indicator, TickTime (attached) that compares ZenFire timestamps to local CPU clock and prints out the diff to the Output window. You can also enable output to a file as well with a threshold, ie you can tell it to only output ticks that lag by more than X seconds. The code also keeps track of how many ticks per minute are received as an indication of how busy the market is.

Would be interested to hear if others are experiencing this type of lag with ZF, or is there another datafeed that won't clog up so bad when things get busy.

I use Mirus. They told me the ZF feed comes straight from the ZF server farm, they don't touch it, so everyone using ZF should be seeing the same thing.

FYI, I'm running this on a Core2 Duo, 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, XP sp3, no wireless, nothing else running, 1.4M DSL internet.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by trader20; 09-03-2009, 03:28 PM.

BTW, you need to run TickTime on a 1 tick chart.

Comment

Issues like these usually resort to 2 different categories:
      a) too much load on the CPU and/or
      b) slow internet connection

The best approach would be to eliminate (a): Next time you experience the lagging take a close look at your task manager/'Performance" tab. Each processor would have it's own graph. If you experience that one CPU would be close to be maxed out, then this would confirm (a).

(a) could be caused by several reasons. Most of them are listed here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Note: there are performance improvements pending for NT7 which reduce the likelihood of (a).

Comment

Ninja Trader Lagging.

Originally posted by trader20 View Post

Would be interested to hear if others are experiencing this type of lag with ZF, or is there another datafeed that won't clog up so bad when things get busy.

I use Mirus. They told me the ZF feed comes straight from the ZF server farm, they don't touch it, so everyone using ZF should be seeing the same thing.

FYI, I'm running this on a Core2 Duo, 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, XP sp3, no wireless, nothing else running, 1.4M DSL internet.
        Yeah.. I'm recently experienced the same problem with the lag.
        I first noticed when I placed an order in the Static Dome, and quickly removed it coz I changed my mind..

My whole NT started to lag big time. I knew it had nothing to do with my pc because I was still able to browse in Mozilla, type emails in Thunderbird and listen to music in Winamp. The only application that wasn't "responding" in the task bar was NT. The prices in the dome moved up/down every few seconds (NOT RIGHT).

I had to close down NT and restart. When after I reset and repair DB. things are ok again. However, this is not satisfactory because I am exposed to open positions that could kill my account.

I have gone and applied all the tips on NT support page (http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...rformanceTips1) to no avail.

My need to reformat my pc or speak to the broker. I am using RCG

Hope that helps and/or hope you can shed more light to a solution
        regards,

Comment

To see what is going on CPU wise....I suggest getting Process Explorer from Microsoft...it is free...download here...this thing just blows away Windows Task Manager by far....

Find out what files, registry keys and other objects processes have open, which DLLs they have loaded, and more.

...This application gives you an incredible view of what is going with CPU and memory etc etc detailed for everything running...you can open up a NinjaTrader.exe Properties window that will show you specific CPU & memory info for Ninja...and a little CPU window in your task bar can be made to show Ninja CPU exclusivily...easy to glance at...

I have Mirus Zen data and do not have any problems as far as I know....and my machine is not that powerful...usually have just 2 complex workspaces with many tick and seconds charts on multiple monitors...

Thanks...
          Last edited by Alfred; 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Hey Alfred,

thanks for the awesome software tip.
            So what if i find a process it taking too much room.
            Do you know of any solutions to rectify.. e.g. free up more ram, close apps etc...

thanks again.

Comment

Alfred, thanks for sharing the suggestion.

mike12nv, please contact us using the Help > Mail to Support feature and include your trace and logs so we can review and advise, thanks.
              BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred View Post
                To see what is going on CPU wise....I suggest getting Process Explorer from Microsoft...it is free...download here...this thing just blows away Windows Task Manager by far....

Find out what files, registry keys and other objects processes have open, which DLLs they have loaded, and more.

...This application gives you an incredible view of what is going with CPU and memory etc etc detailed for everything running...you can open up a NinjaTrader.exe Properties window that will show you specific CPU & memory info for Ninja...and a little CPU window in your task bar can be made to show Ninja CPU exclusivily...easy to glance at...

I have Mirus Zen data and do not have any problems as far as I know....and my machine is not that powerful...usually have just 2 complex workspaces with many tick and seconds charts on multiple monitors...

Thanks...
                Alfred,

Thanks for sharing this.

RJay
                RJay
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

Comment

Hi...Mike12nv...

In Ninja I set charts to 3 days back max usually...and Display Update Interval to 1 second except for a critical chart or so.
                  I do not run any indicators. An OK graphics card can be important if applying many draw tools to charts...this area can burn CPU in Ninja as tools are applied or moved on a chart.

I also use a freebie from Iobit.com..."Advanced SystemCare"...they have a "Smart Ram" thing that will free ram when workspaces are closed ....an icon in the taskbar shows available ram...and they have several other nice features....

For what it's worth...I have applied the "Safe" Windows XP tweaks from Black Viper. Maybe take a look at his site and recommendations on XP or Vista. Lots of info there....

Here are some links to his site.
                  Welcome to my little spot on the internet. My name is Black Viper. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks...
                  Last edited by Alfred; 09-17-2009, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                    Alfred, thanks for sharing the suggestion.

mike12nv, please contact us using the Help > Mail to Support feature and include your trace and logs so we can review and advise, thanks.
                    I tried to do what you said but received the following error message when trying to send trace logs.

Please advise what I should do from here?
                    I was planning to completely format my pc to try to fix this problem.

regards and thanks.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mike12nv; 09-19-2009, 10:02 PM. Reason: added comments

Comment

Originally posted by mike12nv View Post
                      I tried to do what you said but received the following error message when trying to send trace logs.

Please advise what I should do from here?
                      I was planning to completely format my pc to try to fix this problem.

regards and thanks.
                      I have provided a link below that goes over how to resolve the issue you are exeperiencing when attempt to send email.

If you are still uanble to send email from within the platform please email the trace and log files from your personal account to support (at sign) ninjatrader (dot) com and please include Attn: Chris, ticket 212862 in the subject.

Please forward the files for the day this occurred.

Trace file will be located by going to Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5->Trace-> trace.YYYYMMDD.txt

Log file will be located by going to Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5->Log->log.YYYYMMDD.txt

I look forward to assisting you with this issue.
                      Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am experiencing lag with zen-fire lateley as well. Started maybe 2 weeks ago. Computer is top of the line (i7/6 gb of ram/etc), internet is fastest I can get in my area. This lag is recent. Something going on with zen servers? I've changed nothing on my end but I seem to be experiencing lag, some other people I know using zen aren't experiencing this so not sure whats going on. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungOne View Post
                          I am experiencing lag with zen-fire lateley as well. Started maybe 2 weeks ago. Computer is top of the line (i7/6 gb of ram/etc), internet is fastest I can get in my area. This lag is recent. Something going on with zen servers? I've changed nothing on my end but I seem to be experiencing lag, some other people I know using zen aren't experiencing this so not sure whats going on. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hello YoungOne,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please tell me what size your NinjaTrader.mdb file is by going to Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->db Folder

I have also provided a link below to tips to help reduce the amount of resouces being used by NinjaTrader.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

File is 271 mb. Thanks, checked that link out. Didn't really help. This lag is new, maybe 2-3 weeks. At random times my feed will be very noticeably delayed compared to for example IB feed. Any input appreciated. I have like 15-20 charts open at the time. I had set them all the 0 refresh, made a few .5 now, will see if it makes any difference. Anything else I could do?

Comment

Hello YoungOne,

I suggest changing "Calculate on bar close" to True for the indicators you can to help reduce PC resources as well. Keep in mind with this parameter set to True your indicator will only update when the bar has closed.

I have provided a screen shot below fo the parameter I am referring to.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ageeholdings, Today, 07:43 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ageeholdings  
                              Started by pibrew, Today, 06:37 AM
                              0 responses