Order Execution speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order Execution speed

Not sure if I am in the right forum, but here goes.
    This morning (8/19/09) about 11:52 AM there was a sudden rise in trading volume (equities). I was testing (Sim account) using Barchart data feed in real time. Everything went wonky. Fortunately I had been recording the session so I was able to go back. I inserted a ton of print commands in my somewhat simple script. I am using "CalculateOnBarClose = false" because my logic evaluates on the tick. It looks like the ticks were coming in so fast that the simulator was unable to keep up with the rapid fire orders being demanded.
    As it happened, I went short on a crossover at 11:51:51. I printed my position on the next statement; it showed flat, 0 qty.

Three ticks later at the same time stamp (11:51:51) my crossover reversed, my position showed 334 short (right) and I entered an "ExitShort", followed by an "EnterLong". My position still showed short 334. Notwithstanding, I should be long 334 at this point.

14 ticks later at 11:52:39 my crossover reversed again and my program called for an exit of my long position. I printed the market position at that time (before executing the "ExitLong") and eureka, it was long 668 shares. Not right.

Program fails to execute properly from this point on.

As I am just about ready to go live with IB this whole scenario is somewhat disconcerting.

I found a few other posts that related to execution speed, but they usually related to users PCs. I have a dual core with 3GB running Vista Home 64.

Any suggestions?

How do I insert a window with my code in it?

I am a new member and appreciate the quick and generally enlightening responses I have received from a few posts where I needed clarification to get things going. Thx

sharpie, trading news events can be tricky as ticks might 'fly' by faster than executions coming back to you - however it sounds like you did not start up the strategies properly synched as the first crossover took you flat. Please read into this article here to ensure proper synching - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...tPosition.html
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Not an issue with syncing. The strategy was started before the markets opened and nothing happened until the first crossover occurred at 11:51:51.

Tricky it is. This morning with a clearer head I relooked at the values being compared that drives the cross over tests. I am checking the EMA values of the primary bar against those same values one bar ago. I first test for a cross above. If it fails I check for a cross below. It seems that the values of EMA in the primary bar changed between the time the first check was made and the second. I can get around this and will rerun the replay. If you do not hear from me, all is well, otherwise I'll be back in touch.

Many thx.

Comment

sharpie, ok sounds good, please let me know how it goes.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 04:00 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post ETFVoyageur  
        Started by dward123, 01-02-2024, 09:59 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes