Collapse

My avg cost is never correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you check with your broker to see if your entry price was "marked-to-market," which can change the avg. entry price in NinjaTrader. This is due to the broker reporting a new entry price.
    Please see a broker's explanation below:

"When a product closes for the day and goes to a pre-open state, we carry the position forward at the settlement price (in electronic futures, we use the last traded price since the settlement is actually done by the pit and we have no access to that info until the end of the day.) When ZM closed at 1:15 then went from 'closed' to 'pre-open' a few minutes later, the open pnl was booked (from 320.1 to 319.3) and set to 0. The new avg price was set to the settlement of 319.3. That is technically correct and what to expect for all futures contracts. You may get the same question from a trader that sells the ES at 2:00pm at a price of 920.00 only to see his avg price change to 907.00 at 3:20 when the market reopens. It is called marked-to-market and is how all futures will be handled."
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
      After doing several trades, my avg cost is now completely wrong. I even closed out all trades and then placed a new one and it had my avg cost completely wrong. This shows up on the DOM as the wrong price and it's really confusing to me. Is this a known problem? I've been having it for a long time.

It'd be great if the DOM could show my position and avg price for the strategy only. I often have swing trades and/or automated trades going on at the same time and this all gets mixed together.

I'm seriously considering using 3 accounts:

- automated
      - day
      - swing

but that's a hassle to split my capital into 3 accounts. Showing P/L for the active strategy would be perfect. Another example is once I hit "close" wanting to close out the ATM strategy trade and I ended up closing my automated strategy trades and stopping the strategies! Very frustrating.
      Talk to your broker about having sub-accounts that do not hold money but tap into the equity of the main account - that way you could easily deal with separate accounts, but not move money.

That said, this whole thing is the bad side of ninja. There is no concept of a "Trade", just "order" and "position", but not tied into trades, and that mixes up the different avenues. Not a lot one can do there, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
        Can you check with your broker to see if your entry price was "marked-to-market," which can change the avg. entry price in NinjaTrader. This is due to the broker reporting a new entry price.
        Please see a broker's explanation below:
        Mirus confirmed to me that they do not use "market to market".

My avg cost is getting updated with the open (or close) of each day.

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
          Mirus confirmed to me that they do not use "market to market".

My avg cost is getting updated with the open (or close) of each day.
          Ok, can you please send me your trace and log files? Send these to support AT ninjatrader DOT com using Help --> Mail to Support. Put Attn: Ray Stein and a link to this thread in the subject.
          Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
          16 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Leafcutter  
          Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes