My avg cost is never correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My avg cost is never correct

After doing several trades, my avg cost is now completely wrong. I even closed out all trades and then placed a new one and it had my avg cost completely wrong. This shows up on the DOM as the wrong price and it's really confusing to me. Is this a known problem? I've been having it for a long time.

It'd be great if the DOM could show my position and avg price for the strategy only. I often have swing trades and/or automated trades going on at the same time and this all gets mixed together.

I'm seriously considering using 3 accounts:

- automated
    - day
    - swing

but that's a hassle to split my capital into 3 accounts. Showing P/L for the active strategy would be perfect. Another example is once I hit "close" wanting to close out the ATM strategy trade and I ended up closing my automated strategy trades and stopping the strategies! Very frustrating.

Hello Cunparis,

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried setting your ATM STrategy selection mode to "DisplaySelectedATMStrategyOnly?"

More information here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ategyMode.html

Also, please see the following link as you can use the middle mouse wheel to close out only the ATM Strategy you are looking at: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...trategies.html
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RJStein View Post
      Hello Cunparis,

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried setting your ATM STrategy selection mode to "DisplaySelectedATMStrategyOnly?"

More information here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ategyMode.html

Also, please see the following link as you can use the middle mouse wheel to close out only the ATM Strategy you are looking at: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...trategies.html
      This isn't the first time I ask for something that is already there.
      Thanks, I'm going to give it a try today. I think it's exactly what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
        This isn't the first time I ask for something that is already there.
        Thanks, I'm going to give it a try today. I think it's exactly what I need.
        Ok this is great for the DOM but on the positions tab the avg cost is wrong. it often shows I have a 10k profit. If only that were true!

Comment

Please try resetting the sim account: Tools --> Options --> Simulator --> Reset.

Let me know if this issue occurs again.

Thank you!

Comment

Please try resetting the sim account: Tools --> Options --> Simulator --> Reset.

Let me know if this issue occurs again.

Thank you!
            I'm not on sim.

Comment

I'm not on sim.
              1.) Please make sure you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.11. You can check under Help --> About.
              If not, please download from this link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm

2.) Please make sure you are on the supported version of your data provider's software (if applicable). Check the connection guide: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...tionguides.htm

3.) After you are upgraded, please let me know if the issue persists in a new trade.

Comment

1.) Please make sure you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.11. You can check under Help --> About.
                If not, please download from this link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm

2.) Please make sure you are on the supported version of your data provider's software (if applicable). Check the connection guide: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...tionguides.htm

3.) After you are upgraded, please let me know if the issue persists in a new trade.
                I have .9 so I'll upgrade after the close and report back tomorrow. I'm using zenfire so there shouldn't be any issues there.

Thanks

Comment

I have .9 so I'll upgrade after the close and report back tomorrow. I'm using zenfire so there shouldn't be any issues there.

Thanks
                  So far having my DOM set to show the strategy P/L only is really cool. I love this feature. I haven't done any swing trades in my NT account so I haven't noticed any invalid P/L on the positions tab. Will keep an eye on it though and post here if I see anything weird.

Thanks again.

Comment

Avg cost is consistently wrong even with .11. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this problem. All I do is run an automated strategy and then use an ATM strategy. The positions are always correct but the avg cost is not. it all gets messed up. On days that I do not do one of the two (automated or ATM) it works fine. But if I do both it doesn't.

Comment

Same problem here.

Basically, NT is unable to make basic accounting, which in turn means that strategy optimization can not be trusted (unless someone from NT can explain how that bug does not influence that), which in turn means hlalf the package is not usable properly.

Nice for a 6.5 product.

In Simulator I have the even worse problem that the account value gets also distorted. Not trrade reports, I just have (again) more money in the account than logical. All answers from NT are "reset db", "rebuild db" etc. - nothing acknowledging the bug and taking responsibility (i.e. scheduling a fast fix for something that core).

Result: Simulator badly usable.

Currently I am moving NT into "odrder entry and fancy chart" category, because I have not seen anything critically bad there, anything financial (position average, somulated accounts, this backtesting) is not to be trusted.

I also hate how....
                      ...I get loosing trades on scaling up because one of the trades was in a loss. Once I purchase, I only see the average, but I have NO indication of where the trades were entered, and NT does not try to keep all positive, even when possible.
                      ...I can not combine automatic with manual strategy (as you said: close all is interesting in side effects).

Hopes for a better NT 7 in a short timeframe were.... crushed ;(

Comment

Originally posted by NetTecture View Post
                        I also hate how....
                        ...I get loosing trades on scaling up because one of the trades was in a loss. Once I purchase, I only see the average, but I have NO indication of where the trades were entered, and NT does not try to keep all positive, even when possible.
                        ...I can not combine automatic with manual strategy (as you said: close all is interesting in side effects).

Hopes for a better NT 7 in a short timeframe were.... crushed ;(
                        For the first point I look at the Executions tab for that. Now I log all discretionary trading into Excel. Before I was using NT's "Account Performance" but that is no longer an option when trading several strategies on the same instrument. Excel works well.

For the close all, you can set your strategy to show only the P/L from the strategy. I'm still not 100% convinced it works because the other day I noticed that it showed my avg cost wrong. It puts the avg cost bar in the DOM in brown and I noticed it was off by 1 pt. So I have to keep track of that myself.

Overall I'm debating if I want to use the DOM or not. I like the DOM but separating my discretionary trading out to another platform (IB or Tradestation) may make more sense..

I have high hopes for NT7 but when NT 6.5 has problems then I'm less optimistic. I'm expecting NT7 to have a lot of bugs for a while so that means I probably wouldn't use it until sometime next year..

Comment

This is getting really annoying. Yesterday I shorted 1 ES at 916. Exited NT. Today I run NT and it shows my avg cost at 927. This is really unacceptable.

Is anyone working on a fix for this? The avg cost hasn't been correct for as long as I can remember.

Comment

This is getting really annoying. Yesterday I shorted 1 ES at 916. Exited NT. Today I run NT and it shows my avg cost at 927. This is really unacceptable.

Is anyone working on a fix for this? The avg cost hasn't been correct for as long as I can remember.
                            Hi Cunparis,

Unfortunatelly I am not able to reproduce this issue.

Can you please provide the exact steps that you are taking to reproduce this?

Thank you!

Comment

Hi Cunparis,

Unfortunatelly I am not able to reproduce this issue.

Can you please provide the exact steps that you are taking to reproduce this?

Thank you!
                              are you trading with real money?

If not then I'm not sure how to reproduce it.
                              If so here's how:

place a trade
                              exit nt
                              wait until the next day
                              run nt
                              check avg cost.

try various variations on this. if you're testing with sim it might not have the same affect as testing with a real account (at mirus).

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view