NT on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctrlbrk View Post
    Should also be mentioned that you can run NT inside of VirtualBox seamlessly (I can't remember what VirtualBox calls it, but VMware calls it Unity mode).

Basically, NT can appear as a native app on your Gnome/KDE desktop, you won't even see the rest of XP... just like with Wine.

Mike
    I have tried VMware Workstation 6.5 and unity and it works ok (unity isn't perfect) on my laptop as it's a single monitor but I haven't found a virtualization solution that works well with a multiple monitor setup. I have only had a quick play with virtual box and I didn't see a feature like unity although I wasn't looking very hard. To get three monitors working it takes a bit of tweaking and usually requires a pretty custom xorg.conf. Virtualization software doesn't like the custom setup and usually doesn't perform very well. I use wine for a few other programs and they work fine on multiple monitors so that is the main reason I want to get wine working.

Either way, running a windows VM pretty much defeats the purpose of switching to ubunutu for me. It just adds another layer of things to go wrong and legally I still need a windows licence.

Back to testing and I tried Ubuntu 9.04 on my triple monitor monitor desktop and I haven't managed to get all three screens working properly yet. The restricted nvidia driver breaks X....sigh.

Comment

I have three monitors as well. I tried Ubuntu 8.10 as my main desktop a while back... well, good luck. Zillion posts about this on ubuntuforums.org.

Also, as for a legal license of Windows, try Windows 7. RC1 doesn't expire for a long time (June 2010 I think), giving you time to figure something out.

Mike

Comment

I have three monitors as well. I tried Ubuntu 8.10 as my main desktop a while back... well, good luck. Zillion posts about this on ubuntuforums.org.

Also, as for a legal license of Windows, try Windows 7. RC1 doesn't expire for a long time (June 2010 I think), giving you time to figure something out.

Mike
        Yep had the same problemsand read most of the posts. 8.04 LTS worked fine but VMware never worked very well in unity. As much as I like 9.04, if I can't get three monitors working I'll be going back to 8.04. Wine is still the best option regardless.

You tried 9.04 on your 3 monitors yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Treggs View Post
          You tried 9.04 on your 3 monitors yet?
          Not yet, and not likely too anytime soon. On Windows 7 x64 and it's great. I do have another machine, a Core 2 Duo E6850, 8GB, 3x320GB R0... it is an extra machine and used to be my primary desktop until I built this new one. I will be putting Ubuntu on it, but haven't decided if will be desktop or server. If desktop, I will endeavor to get the triple monitor working (it has a 8800GT and a 8600GT in it).

Mike

Comment

If you do put Ubuntu on your backup machine I'd be interested to here how you go. Spec is very similar to my current desktop. I'm running Core2 6750, 4 gig Ram, multiple hard drives and 2x8600 GTS. I put a bunch of effort into making it super stable for trading and have no intention of upgrading it any time soon as it works so well.

I have tried Windows 7 beta and it worked nicely but was still a bit buggy when I tried it.

Comment

I will be doing something with it in the next few days probably. Will be Ubuntu, just don't know beyond that yet Will let you know -- please do the same if you get a working solution with 9.04 on triple monitor.

The initial beta (Windows 7 build 7000) was so-so. They've come a long way, build 7100 (RC1) is excellent, I definitely recommend it. I think Microsoft has a winner here, especially now that they are including the XP virtual machine built-in, we should see widespread adoption of this (unlike Vista).

Now just to get all the software vendors (ahem!) to release a native x64 version so we can finally get beyond this insanely low memory limits.

Mike

Comment

WIll do.

Sounds lie I should be giving WIndows 7 another go too.

Maybe if we are lucky NT 7 will work better under wine and I'll get 9.04 working nicely on three screens. Now there is a nice solution.

Any of the mods had a look at winetricks and can answer my question about what NT requires to run under a windows environment?

Comment

WIll do.

Sounds lie I should be giving WIndows 7 another go too.

Maybe if we are lucky NT 7 will work better under wine and I'll get 9.04 working nicely on three screens. Now there is a nice solution.

Any of the mods had a look at winetricks and can answer my question about what NT requires to run under a windows environment?
                  Windows 7 RC1 is publicly available May 5th, or you can get it ahead of time if you are inside the loop.

There is a good chance NT7 will bring "change" to Wine integration, since it is based on .NET 3.5 instead of .NET 2.0. However, whether that change is good or bad, who knows. I'll hope for good!

Mike

Comment

I've been meaning to try installing .net 3.5 under wine. It's one of the few things I haven't tried to get NT working yet.

You tried it?

Comment

You tried it?
                      Nope sorry, never even messed with Wine.

Mike

Comment

just installed ubuntu 9.04 and am running NT 6.5 out of a virtual box... so far its incredible!

will be running it further to get a better idea and see if I would actually move this to my trading box....

but it is nice!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog008 View Post
                          just installed ubuntu 9.04 and am running NT 6.5 out of a virtual box... so far its incredible!
                          Awesome, congrats!

Now, the big question --- Gnome, or KDE???

Are you using XP or what for the VM? Pics

Mike

Comment

I have also managed to get virtualbox and NT to play nicely under Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop. I'm running xp in the virtual machine and running it in seamless mode. It works a bit better than vmware workstation and unity. Still not my ideal solution but it's a step in the right direction.

I am having some serious driver issues with getting my triple screen desktop running triple monitors on 9.04 so 8.04.2 with wine is still looking like the ideal setup.

Screenshot of laptop setup below.

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

Now, the big question --- Gnome, or KDE???

Are you using XP or what for the VM? Pics

Mike
                              Mike,

I'll have pics up tonite!

Using XP for the VM on a Gnome Desktop

Comment

Blew away and re-installed that extra server, now running Ubuntu 9.04 x64. Is the C2D E6850, I overclocked to 3.6GHz now and ran it 24 hours with Orthos (prime95) under win7 to make sure was stable.

Also trying out the ext4 fs, looks good so far, was even bootable with GRUB in 9.04 it would seem (was worried about that).

Anyway, already having trouble again with the nvidia drivers... ugh. This system has an 8800GT and 8600GT, and is headless. I'm trying to do everything via VNC, and the nvidia drivers are giving me some headaches. Only reason I want them to work is for the eye candy, and so I can make use of Folding GPU client. I love to fold.

Anyway, the GPU client requires Wine, so I will be venturing into Wine and figured when that far in, I might as well start playing with Ninja on it as well, so we shall see.

And for the record, let me just say, Linux is SO more efficient than Windows...

Mike

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Anfedport  
                                Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes