Intermittent loss of connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manfred, hi there.

Unfortunately the problem raised its ugly face again on Friday. I had left NT running on its own with no other applications running and after a while, it disconnected again. Prior to this issue coming up, I had NT running, as well as a browser open with streaming TV program and had had no problem whatsoever. That's what I wanted to get back to.

I then decided to look through the daily NT logs to see when the problem with the disconnects came up the first time. Located that day. Then I checked what I had done just prior to that. I had added horizontal lines to one of my indicators. So I switched off these horizontal lines to see if that would make a difference. And, ah, there was the culprit. Without these lines everything is working again just fine, all day today. Even streaming TV at the same time as running NT. Just like it was before.

I attach the cs file here of that indicator with the request for you to look at. Something must be wrong with the way I use those horizontal lines but I cannot see what. My feeling is that as it keeps running, it eats up exponentially more and more memory which eventually leads to an overload and then disconnects. (And yes, I keep using this indicator without activating the horizontal lines with no problem at all.)

sandman

Attached Files

Comment

Hello sandman,

Thank you very much for your reply and the more than extensive research into this error.

I'm currently discussing this with our NinjaScript Team and will follow up with you as soon as I have more information.

Thank you in advance for your patience!
      Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello sandman,

Thank you for your reply.

Your indicator can't disconnect you from your data connection, but it can certainly have a large impact on your performance when it's drawing a lot of items to the charts. It's very possible the connection issues are a completely separate issue but are exacerbating performance issues because when you reconnect, everything recalculates.

I had no trouble running this indicator on a fairly small chart with a low number of days to load (5) with all the lines going, but it's very possible that since those lines are redrawn on every iteration through OnBarUpdate it's possible that's putting enough load on your system to affect the chart performance and make it freeze up, however, I'm not seeing a marked increase in RAM usage with this like you're reporting. How long do you usually run this before experiencing symptoms?

Thanks in advance; I look forward to assisting you further.

Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kate.

Thanks for checking it out. I do not want to retry using it for obvious reasons. But from my recollection the time it took was usually around 1 hour, but sometimes 2 hours.

sandman

Comment

Might be worth Ninja support posting a thorough set of things to check for connection loss, to save time/effort of those looking for a solution. In an obvious place, maybe as a sticky.

Comment

Hello AMATX,

Thank you very much for this suggestion!

I've already reached out to our management team to look into how we might be able to best accomplish this.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
              Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes