Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Chart Indicator to show elapsed time in trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Indicator to show elapsed time in trade

Is there such an indicator?

One that would show the elapsed time, in minutes/seconds since a trade was entered?

It would show text on the Top Right, Top Left, etc....and only show during a live trade.

If it doesn't exist...is it possible, and what would be the key code elements?

Thank you.

Turtle Trader,

I am happy to assist you.

Yes this would be possible in a strategy however would require some custom coding. If you want to use an indicator to do this for manual orders unfortunately it wouldn't be supported however may be possible using some unsupported code.

You could get the time stamp of when the orders are submitted and then track how long its been since then for a strategy.

Here is a reference sample on using DateTime objects : http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=19292

If you would like something like this you could discuss your requirements with a NinjaScript consultant.

Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

with indicator?

Yes, it would be easy with a Strategy that submits orders...what I would like to do is to code it in an Indicator and use it in conjunction with Chart Trader for manual entries.

The indicator would recognize a trade was entered by a manual submission and then track the time until it exited.

I use Chart Trader with Indicators but not Strategies. If I remember correctly there is no way to have both ChartTrader and a Strategy active at the same time on a chart.

So, the need is for an Indicator.

Please advise...are there Ninja functions where an indicator would know if a trade was taken manually and be able to track it?

Comment

Hi Turtle Trader, that would be unfortunately not possible - the scripts would not be able to access manual trading / executions info.

And you're also correct - ChartTrader could not be run on the same chart as a Strategy.

We run an enhancement suggestion though already on adding a trade timer display to the order entry interfaces, I've added a vote in here on your behalf for this as well.

Thanks,
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle Trader View Post
          Yes, it would be easy with a Strategy that submits orders...what I would like to do is to code it in an Indicator and use it in conjunction with Chart Trader for manual entries.

The indicator would recognize a trade was entered by a manual submission and then track the time until it exited.

I use Chart Trader with Indicators but not Strategies. If I remember correctly there is no way to have both ChartTrader and a Strategy active at the same time on a chart.

So, the need is for an Indicator.

Please advise...are there Ninja functions where an indicator would know if a trade was taken manually and be able to track it?
          You might think of monitoring the log file and parsing new entries to see if they are trade entries/exits?

Comment

add to the request

Hello,

Please add to the request system a way for an indicator to become aware of trade events and the ability to query current trade status

I imagine trade events triggered in the indicator, if the indicator included those events in the build, and also methods/functions for the indicator to query trade status.

BUT IN THE BIGGER PICTURE...why not drop the boundary between an Indicator and a Strategy..surely you have received this request many times...??

thank you

Comment

Turtle Trader,

I'll get you a tracking ID for your suggestion and/or add your vote to any pending suggestions.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Turtle Trader,

Your suggestion has ID #1811

Please feel free to contact us any time.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by geddyisodin, 04-25-2024, 05:20 AM
                  8 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                  Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                  4 responses
                  1 like