Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Indicator Development: Version control setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator Development: Version control setup?

I'd like to use version control while developing indicators. Typically when I've used version control in other development work I have a folder for the project and the source control system (svn/subversion, git, mercurial) places a hidden folder in my project folder. My question is since all the indicators are in a single folder (C:\Users\username\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator) how do you handle the configuration of your source control?

Do you put all indicators in one big project? Or is it possible to move indicators into subfolders inside the Indicator folder and still have Ninjatrader read them properly?

The current supported method for this would be to either create copies of your script (right click it in the editor -> save as) or to manually save the file to an external location that you could then re-add if needed.

I will submit your request for version control features to development.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by overflowing View Post
      I'd like to use version control while developing indicators. Typically when I've used version control in other development work I have a folder for the project and the source control system (svn/subversion, git, mercurial) places a hidden folder in my project folder. My question is since all the indicators are in a single folder (C:\Users\username\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator) how do you handle the configuration of your source control?

Do you put all indicators in one big project? Or is it possible to move indicators into subfolders inside the Indicator folder and still have Ninjatrader read them properly?
      Your version control system should be completely separate from your NT installation. You check out files, and use them in NT. Check them back in if you either edit them, or decide that they have passed muster.

Comment

Your version control system should be completely separate from your NT installation. You check out files, and use them in NT. Check them back in if you either edit them, or decide that they have passed muster.
        Correct it is independent and I'm not asking for any kind of integration into Ninjatrader. My issue (or at least it seems to be an issue, hoping for guidance from someone who is using version control in their indicator/strategy development) is that if I want to have each indicator as it's own project/repository the expectation from version control software's point of view is that the indicator would be in it's own folder (This is true for SVN, git, and mercurial)

The only way I can see to work around this is to create a repository in the Ninjatrader Indicator folder and check in all indicators into a single repository. I guess I will try this. Hoping to hear from someone using version control and how they have it setup.

Copying files in and out of the Indicator folder is not a desirable solution because it's tedious.

Comment

Correct it is independent and I'm not asking for any kind of integration into Ninjatrader. My issue (or at least it seems to be an issue, hoping for guidance from someone who is using version control in their indicator/strategy development) is that if I want to have each indicator as it's own project/repository the expectation from version control software's point of view is that the indicator would be in it's own folder (This is true for SVN, git, and mercurial)

The only way I can see to work around this is to create a repository in the Ninjatrader Indicator folder and check in all indicators into a single repository. I guess I will try this. Hoping to hear from someone using version control and how they have it setup.

Copying files in and out of the Indicator folder is not a desirable solution because it's tedious.
          NT compiles all its classes in a folder structure that corresponds to a single project. Heck, they even provide the NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj file for you.

If you want to use a different folder structure instead of mirroring that which NT uses, you are certainly free to do so, but you cannot expect the product to function with your special folder structure, so you are going to have to check in and check out files for use in the standard folder structure. I doubt that there is any way around that.
          Last edited by koganam; 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I'll try just going with the single repository for the entire indicator folder. In some sense it will make things simpler. The downside is that the change history from all indicators will me intermingled but probably not that big of a deal. Will find out.

What is the purpose of the NinjaTrader.Custom.cs file?
            Last edited by overflowing; 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I'll try just going with the single repository for the entire indicator folder. In some sense it will make things simpler. The downside is that the change history from all indicators will me intermingled but probably not that big of a deal. Will find out.

What is the purpose of the NinjaTrader.Custom.cs file?
              Actually, I made a mistake there. It is correctly the NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj file. It is a project file for C#, as used in Visual Studio.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Anfedport  
              Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post iceman2018