Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Why does Zorder change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Zorder change?

I have time and time again altered the Zorder of items, getting it just right. Then some time during trading, the order changes on it's own.

I have an indicator that draws a dot at a specified location during the creation of a candela. I want the dot to always be on top. I also have a number of other indicators on the chart as well.

I sometimes can get a chart template setup just as I want, but when I come back to a chart that has been running on it's own for a bit, the dots move/loose their Zorder.

Also, there are times when I simply can not select the dot, and/or no combination of shift control mouse wheel spin will bring it forward. In such a case I found if I delete indicators, adjust Z level, then add the indis back in I get a little more control.

Are there any suggestions to maintain a Zorder or to better control it?

I hope this gets addressed in a future relase. Would seem like I should be able to set the Z level of an indi just like I set what panel I put the indi in.

tulanch, thanks for the report. Explicitly setting a ZOrder level for a script would unfortunately not be supported officially, but improvement in this regard are on our feedback list in product management, I'm adding here a vote on your behalf in.

There are some unsupported / documented ways to control it though and that would be done via the ZOrder property in Initialize(), some customers have reported success setting to -1 to move an indicator behind the price bars and setting to a very high level to move to the top / front.

What I would not expect is the changing ZOrder for your script as you note or the inability to select the object for assigning a new ZOrder. If you wouln't mind to forward me the script / workspace via Help > Mail to Support I would be happy to attempt reproducing here to review.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Bertrand, I have been playing with setting the Zorder..... Have you come up with a way that I can set a ZOrder in my indi that will keep that plot on top of the others?

Thx
      Bob

Comment

There is not a supported method for setting the Zorder at this time. We do not have any current workarounds to control the ZOrder
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by bobc635 View Post
          Hi Bertrand, I have been playing with setting the Zorder..... Have you come up with a way that I can set a ZOrder in my indi that will keep that plot on top of the others?

Thx
          Bob
          Hi bobc635,

I did a little research with zorder a year ago to make one of my products work properly.

It appears that every indicator on each chart gets an unique zorder number that is only used once and only for that session and is never used again. Restart NT, same chart, same indicators, new zorder numbers.

You need to query the zorder number for the indicator in question when the indicator is first loaded to the chart. Then use that reference number to set up the order sequence priority.

RJay
          RJay
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

Comment

ZOrder

Thanks RJay..... I will spend some time on it and if successful, will post something to help others....

Bob

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
            14 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post aligator  
            Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
            6 responses
            0 likes