Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Problem trying to update custom assembly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem trying to update custom assembly.

I have a protected (new format) assembly. In prior NT versions it was possible to update (re-import to replace a previously imported copy) without restriction.

In NT-7 (7.0.1000.6) such a re-import will fail if any of the indicators in the assembly is active on a chart.

The error message boils down to – the import failed because the (x86) version of the assembly dll can’t be accessed because it is being used by another process.

Further, after I close the offending workspace a subsequent attempted re-import fails with the message: “You have a custom NinjaScript file with programming errors.

And, an attempt to remove the original assembly generates the same error.

This was somewhat confusing because the ONLY custom assembly is the one I am trying to re-import. There are no other custom indicators or strategies binary or sources.

I eventually tracked the subsequent “program errors” messages to the fact the “plain” (not x86 nor x64) version of the assembly dll had been deleted in the original attempt to re-import. Apparently BEFORE the import process discovered it was going to subsequently fail.

So, now I am stuck. Can’t proceed with the re-import, can’t back up.

All suggestions welcome,

Gordo

Follow up to previous post.

If I restart NT the missing dll comes back and, as long as no indicatorfrom the assembly in question is running, the re-import completes as expected.

Gordo

Comment

Second Follow Up

Subsequent investigation suggests my original post was not exactly accurate.

It appears that the activity of any of the contents of the assembly is not the issue.

Here is what I have observed: Let’s say that the assembly is called FOO.zip.
      After the initial Import the files FOO.dll, FOO.x64.dll, and FOO.x86.dll are present in the folder Custom.
      And the process NinjaTrader.exe has opened two copies of FOO.dll.

Exit NinjaTrader… and restart it.

Now NinjaTrader.exe has two copies of FOO.x86.dll open.

This causes the subsequent attempt to re-import to fail as described in my original post.

Comment

Hello ts_gordo, sorry for our late comment - the recommended way to upgrade your 3rd party studies would be removing the prior installed version via File > Utilities > Remove NinjaScript assembly (workspace(s) closed before) and then reimporting the update. That should ensure a smooth process.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your response.

If your response represents NinjaTrader's "official" position,

I have two immediate thoughts:

1) Your response basically says that a NEW FEATURE of NT 7 is to force users to explicitly REMOVE old stuff before importing new stuff, and

2) If this is really the requirement, then NT 7 should warn the user UP FRONT. Not start down the road to import and then FAIL part wat through.

Relative to my last post: it does seem inconsistent that after the initial Import, NinjaTrader.exe opens FOO.dll and after a restart, it opens FOO.x86.dll

Your thoughts appreciated,

Gordo

Comment

Gordo, removing the old assembly first and installing the new one is simply the cleanest way to update them and hence it would be recommended by us.

For the DLL opening observations - are you sure you used the same NT7 version (64 bit / 32 bit) in each test?

Comment

Bernard,

I understand. I get it.

I have no problem telling my customers to "remove previous copies first".

Just one problem, if they don't see the note or don't pay attention to it, the NinjaTrader failer makes MY product look bad.

With all due respect, basically your response is nothing more than telling me to get lost!

I am trying to report what I think is possibly a BUG in NT 7...

Frankly, I would normally expect NinjaTrader to exhibit a higher level of interest and a higher quality standard.

Yes, I am sure it was the same Version... this machine is a 32 bit XP, so that is ALL that will load.

If you are interested, I can send you screen shots.

I can see what happens on a Windows 7 64 Bit system.

Gordo

Comment

Hello Gordo, correct that would be recommended way and therefore a practice to educate customers on for 'smooth' operations - I'm for sure open to investigate further your scenario outlined to see if we could improve here - for this please forward your screenshots to support at ninjatrader dot com to my Attn.

Thanks in advance,

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by mintos, 04-02-2024, 08:22 PM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                Started by Felix Reichert, 04-26-2024, 02:12 PM
                10 responses