Collapse

Calculate Value Area of volume at price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I can figure you can not have a start time and finish time that crosses over the 24th hour (midnight). The only work around I found was to reset your PC clock and timezone, easiest to set it to the time zone of the market you watch, then reboot, and reload all chart history.

Ninja can crashes for many reasons, plenty of them are unknown. Maybe NT7 will be better.

Comment

More info needed

If anyone needs assistance with the indicator, or has a bug report...feel free to post it here. But, you will also need to identify which indicator it is. You can do that by referencing the Post# in this thread.

That way the author/editor will have the information needed to address the issue.

Thanks again!

Ben

Comment

Hi deanz, hi sbgtrading,

thank you for the reply. Sorry for the confusion, I thought it was clear which indicator I mean. It's the "CalculateValueArea" indicator.

Is there no other way to solve the issue, except to shift the PC time?

Comment

New version attached to Post #1

I've posted the enhanced version to Post #1 of this thread.

Please read that post for details on the new version.

Enjoy!

Ben

Comment

Thanks Ben,

but hmmm... unfortunately the new version never plots anything on the chart (have tried several settings of "market hours"). Of course this depends obviously on me, but what I'm doing wrong?

The next things is, that you cannot chose the "Profile Type" with a pull down menue...
            Last edited by sju10544; 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sju10544 View Post
              unfortunately the new version never plots anything on the chart (have tried several settings of "market hours"). Of course this depends obviously on me, but what I'm doing wrong?

The next things is, that you cannot chose the "Profile Type" with a pull down menu...
              Please send along a screenshot of your Indicator parameter settings. The "Market Hours" settings should have no bearing on the output except if your start time occurs outside of your market hours that may be a problem. Make sure your start time is within the market hours you have chosen.

Also, the "Profile Type" is a text input, you need to spell out the selection "VOC", "TPO", or "VWTPO"

Ben ([email protected])

Comment

O.K. Here's a chart only with the CalculateValueArea indicator. The properties settings Start and End time are from 12:00 AM to 12:00 AM.

Thank you for the excellent support.
                Last edited by sju10544; 09-13-2010, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I commented on this indicator, this may be the best resource for assistance. When ProfileType is set to VOC the histograms contain gaps on my 3min ES charts, any suggestions? TPO and VWTPO have a smooth 'normal' profile while VOC just seems incorrectly drawn. Just want a volume-based histogram to track POC, VAH, VAL. Thanks again!

Edit: Any ideas on how I can color the VPOC from the current/previous days so it stands out?

Edit2: Added attachments so you can see volume profile vs volume profile from another package.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tradercrm; 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradercrm View Post
                    I commented on this indicator, this may be the best resource for assistance. When ProfileType is set to VOC the histograms contain gaps on my 3min ES charts, any suggestions? TPO and VWTPO have a smooth 'normal' profile while VOC just seems incorrectly drawn. Just want a volume-based histogram to track POC, VAH, VAL. Thanks again!

Edit: Any ideas on how I can color the VPOC from the current/previous days so it stands out?

Edit2: Added attachments so you can see volume profile vs volume profile from another package.
                    The VOC profile does create a choppier appearance because it assigns all the volume to the close price. So, if you have a gap where the close prices are far apart, you will have gaps in the profile. VOC means Volume On Close (price). The other profile types distribute the volume across the entire range of the bar (on a bar with 5 ticks range, 1/5 of the volume is assigned to each of the 5 ticks)...thereby filling in the gaps.

Comment

Ah, next question you can probably guess: anyway to assign volume to price, beyond just the volume on it's close? Looking for something that will give me an accurate profile w/ VPOC. Thx!

Comment

Ah, next question you can probably guess: anyway to assign volume to price, beyond just the volume on it's close? Looking for something that will give me an accurate profile w/ VPOC. Thx!
                        That's why the TPO and VWTPO were added...so you can distribute the volume over the entire span of the bar. Perhaps other users can tell you which method (TPO or VWTPO) are more "popular" or accurate.

Comment

The most popular would be the chart I attached in the original post, calculating volume only at price, and not just the closing price. Hmm might be at a dead end here then...

Comment

The most popular would be the chart I attached in the original post, calculating volume only at price, and not just the closing price. Hmm might be at a dead end here then...
                            In looking at the chart you posted...at the top of the chart, I see "TPO" mentioned...am I reading that correctly? If so, perhaps you should run the indicator under the "TPO" setting.

Comment

Yes, but the histogram is volume-based, I've confirmed it with another program (X-study) which offers something similar. The reason I'm concerned is when the VPOC shifted down today, naturally, the TPO or VWTPO didn't reflect it, and while the VOC did (on some charts) it only includes volume at the closing price of the candle as I understand it? Just wanting to include every trade, not interesting in time. Thx again for your help..

Comment

Calculation different to TTZMPLines

Hi together,

I have attached two screenshots of the 30 min TF chart. All of them are 24 hour charts (session begin 12:00 AM and ends 12:00 AM).

In one chart there is a calculation with the so called TTZMPLines (http://thetradingzone.com/). The other chart shows the value area with the dValueArea indicator (yellow line is the POC the two other dotted lines in chocolate are the VAb and VAt) . As you can see, the calculations are very different. I have tried many other setups, but unfortunately I can't find a setup that calculates the area similar to the TTZMPLines indicator.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Massinisa  
                                Started by Creamers, Today, 05:32 AM