Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Double smoothing Heikin Ashi bars available in Sierra but not Ninja ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double smoothing Heikin Ashi bars available in Sierra but not Ninja ???

Sierra charts has the ability by DEFAULT of applying a double smoothing to Heikin Ashi bars. See image below. Can anyone please help me do this in Ninja Trader 7 or 8 please ???

So its an average of heikin ashi bars and then an average of that result.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	131
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1248241

Hello qs12345,

To confirm, you are posting in the Indicator Development section of the forums as you are creating your own custom indicator to achieve this?

Below is a link to the existing HeikenAshi indicator.
    NinjaTrader 8 natively provides Heiken Ashi as a bar type for most common bar types (minute, tick, volume, second, day, week, month, year). This Heiken Ashi indicator is provided for the Range, Renko and any custom bar types that may be added. The indicator performs in the same manner as the NinjaTrader 7 version. 4-27-18 […]

There is also a Heiken Ashi Smooth indicator that can provide you with some ideas.
    This is a port of the Heiken Ashi Smoothed v1.3 indicator by koganam. This indicator has been modified to use optimized SharpDX rendering. The PaintingStyle option has been removed as Drawing Tools are no longer used. Update 4/28/2018: Indicator is now compatible with multiple Chart Panels and starts with original Price Series values instead of […]

For each series value, you can supply this to an SMA or other indicator call before setting the plot value.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,
      Thanks for your response. I already tried both those indicators before submitting this request. Both dont have the ability to apply a DOUBLE smoothing to the heikin ashi candles. By default, I can't see a way of doing this which is why I posted in this section. I am also a bit surprised that Sierra Charts has this as a standard study that can be applied when Ninja 8 doesn't. Can you please advise how to achieve this result because if I can't do this in NT8 or 7, I will have to move to Sierra Charts.
      Many thanks!

Comment

I don't think this is a common request. You could program it easily by modifying the HA indicator, though, as NinjaTrader_ChelseaB explained. Each platform's developers make their own decisions about what is essential, and this hasn't been a frequent need that I am aware of. Perhaps they will add it, or you could modify the existing one in the NinjaScript.
        Bruce DeVault
        QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello qs12345,

Just to confirm, you are developing an indicator, is this correct?

The examples provided were to give you a starting point and some ideas for coding your own indicator.

Where you intending to post in the File Sharing Discussion section of the forums in request of an existing indicator?

I've moved your thread to the NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion section of the forums as this does not appear to be a development inquiry.

This thread will remain open for any community members that may know of an existing indicator with this functionality.

You can also contact a professional NinjaScript Consultant who would be eager to create or modify this script at your request or assist you with your script. The NinjaTrader Ecosystem has affiliate contacts who provide educational as well as consulting services. Please let me know if you would like a list of affiliate consultants who would be happy to create this script or any others at your request or provide one on one educational services.

Comment

Hi Chelsea/Bruce,

It would probably be a modification of the existing code in the Ninja Script that I am trying to do in order to get a double smoothing.
            Please see image below taken from the ninja script from the link you posted - https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...ashi-smoothed/. ​

Best regards,

Views:	115
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1248338

Comment

Hello qs12345,

This is the period used when calling the HMA on lines 106 to 111.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Understood - I guess my question is what type of smoothing is being applied - a simple moving average, a weighted moving average etc? Is that driven by the HMA element? See below please:

Views:	114
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1248353

Comment

Hello qs12345,

The HMA is the Hull Moving Average.

"The HMA manages to keep up with rapid changes in price activity whilst having superior smoothing over an SMA of the same period. The HMA employs weighted moving averages and dampens the smoothing effect (and resulting lag) by using the square root of the period instead of the actual period itself. Developed by Alan Hull."

Comment

Hi Chelsea!
                    Thanks for your last post. Can EMA or SMA or WMA (exponential moving average or simple moving average or weighted moving average) be used instead of HMA in the code? IE will it recognise the syntax EMA SMA and WMA pls?
                    Cheers

Comment

Yes, you can use EMA or SMA or WMA by just changing that keyword. They are each the name of a defined function and take the same parameters (a series, and a period/length).
                      Bruce DeVault
                      QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
                      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello qs12345,

Yes, you could code your custom version to supply the price series to as input series to any indicator method call you would like.

Below are links to the help guide on the EMA, SMA, and WMA.

Comment

Thanks Bruce!
                          The code then is hardcoded to apply one type of smoothing ie HMA. For what I need, I need to be to be able to select between EMA, WMA and SMA from within the NT8 application itself. How does one introduce that as the code level so that the user can choose between 3 moving averages when applying the smoothing to the HA bars please?
                          Cheers

Comment

Hello qs12345,

For this you will want to use a public enum input property that lets the user select the MA type.

Below is a link to the reference sample that demonstrates.
                            https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ned_parame.htm

Comment

Please see image below:

Views:	102
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	1248395

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post