Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using SuperTrend for an EA

Hi Guys!

I am so pleased to having just joined this forum and to have hit on this thread! Exactly what I needed as I was beginning to think I was on my own and that my strategy was uniquely mine!!

I have been very successfully trading the EURUSD currency pair using a strategy based on the SuperTrend indicator alone. This indicator is so simple yet so powerful. I use the MT4 platform and an EA I had coded for me. It really does work. Of course it has times when the price is ranging which are not so good, but even then it is often profitable. The setting required for the EURUSD one minute chart seems to be a Multiplier of 10 and ATR Period of 10 too. Different time charts need different Multiplier eg one hour looks good on 3. This very simple adjustment is intuitive, you can see the effect instantly on the chart. The indicator is almost human the way it forms a stop line.

Now why I am here is that I am finding MT4 has serious limitations and does not always issue orders because it seems to to be unable to cope with doing more than one thing at a time. My strategy is an SAR strategy, and requires positions to be closed and new positions opened at the trend change. MT4 does not like doing this! My hope is that NinjaTrader will be man enough to do the job I need doing!! Similar experiences any one?

I need to read back through this thread, but just thought I would arrive and outline my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyW View Post
      Hi Guys!
      ...My strategy is an SAR strategy, and requires positions to be closed and new positions opened at the trend change. MT4 does not like doing this! My hope is that NinjaTrader will be man enough to do the job I need doing!! Similar experiences any one?

I need to read back through this thread, but just thought I would arrive and outline my situation.
      Welcome Sandy. Personally I think strategy development is one area where NT really leaves MetaTrader in the dust.

If I understand correctly what you are looking for, it should be no problem to do right from the strategy wizard. The best part is you may not even have to look at a single line of code!

I think there is a video in the help which gives the basics, but the best thing is just to fool around with it. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyW View Post
        Hi Guys!

I am so pleased to having just joined this forum and to have hit on this thread! Exactly what I needed as I was beginning to think I was on my own and that my strategy was uniquely mine!!

I have been very successfully trading the EURUSD currency pair using a strategy based on the SuperTrend indicator alone. This indicator is so simple yet so powerful. I use the MT4 platform and an EA I had coded for me. It really does work. Of course it has times when the price is ranging which are not so good, but even then it is often profitable. The setting required for the EURUSD one minute chart seems to be a Multiplier of 10 and ATR Period of 10 too. Different time charts need different Multiplier eg one hour looks good on 3. This very simple adjustment is intuitive, you can see the effect instantly on the chart. The indicator is almost human the way it forms a stop line.

Now why I am here is that I am finding MT4 has serious limitations and does not always issue orders because it seems to to be unable to cope with doing more than one thing at a time. My strategy is an SAR strategy, and requires positions to be closed and new positions opened at the trend change. MT4 does not like doing this! My hope is that NinjaTrader will be man enough to do the job I need doing!! Similar experiences any one?

Hi SandyW, Elliott Wave is right. The strategy wizard can help a lot with your SAR strategy. I know nothing about programming languages but have found the wizard pretty easy to use. You can have NT exit a short and enter a long or vice versa whenever your strategy needs with a just a few clicks. Let me know if you need any more info. It's pretty cool you posted because I'm just getting interested in the EURUSD pair also. Take care.

Comment

SuperTrend Strategy

Thanks Elliott Wave and deltason for your encouragement. I have only just installed NinjaTrader and am trying to get my head around it still. I tend to be a bit slow learning new tricks!

Here is the strategy of my MT4 EA, which has so far proved highly profitable in live trading, but it needs more time to fully prove itself. I am very frustrated that the MT4 limitations have prevented a steady trial.

EURUSD
          1 min chart
          SuperTrend indicator (ST)
          Multiplier 10
          Periods 10

Trend change occurs when price bar closes beyond the ST line

At trend change open 7 positions
          Take profit on 3 at 15 pips (if reached)
          Take profit on 2 at 30 pips (if reached)
          Allow remaining 2 positions to run
          Close 2 positions at 200 pips (if reached)
          Close any open positions if trend changes (ie reverses)

Open 7 new reverse positions on trend change
          etc
          etc

Clearly variations are possible, such as TP on one position at 100 pips
          Or open more or less positions
          Or just open one larger position and let it run to trend reversal

Currently on MT4 I am running on 1 min, 5 min and 15 min charts with different ST settings. I like the Multiplier at 7 for 5 min chart and 5 for 15 min chart.

The aim of my strategy is to maximise the benefits from a long trend, while taking profit from shorter running trends or least limiting damage from a ranging market. My position size usually risks about 5% of capital on each "trade cycle", but I think that may be too aggressive.

So far I have not given much thought to involving any other indicators. I want to keep it really simple. The great thing about the ST is that you can just see at a glance what the trend is, and watch the robot at work relative to the line. You can also adjust ST intuitively. I have never backtested or even traded it on demo! My psychology was never up to handling any whipsaws when trading manually! Furthermore I think it is probably better to trade this "always in the market" strategy 24/5 or even 24/7. Hence the need to automate it.

I offer this simply as food for thought. Others may have there own ideas about what works best with ST. Anyone care to code my strategy, including options for variations? Or even maybe translate my .mql file to Ninja code.
          Last edited by SandyW; 01-11-2009, 05:00 AM.

Comment

I have been following this thread and looking at the code for ST.

Can anybody explain in simple terms what this indicator is doing? I am not too versed in this code language

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by velocity View Post
              I have been following this thread and looking at the code for ST.

Can anybody explain in simple terms what this indicator is doing? I am not too versed in this code language

Thanks
              It calculates ATR for number of periods you specify, then multiplies by multiplier you specify, and then it follows like a trailing stop...

Comment

SuperTrend Strategy

Here is another way, which I have not actually used as yet, to trade the SuperTrend.

Very often the price pulls back a long way without triggering a trend change. It quite often even brushes across the SuperTrend line, but because the bar doesn't close the trend remains in place, and the price bounces off the line. It can be uncanny to watch it sometimes. It is classic support. If you open a trade when the price is on the line or close to it, you get a very low risk entry because if the price bar does actually close over the line you do an instant stop and reverse.

So, with slightly varied criteria, in the same strategy you can use SuperTrend to determine both a limit open, and a stop close!

Anyone care to try it or code it into an EA? Perhaps as a pyramiding strategy incorporated into the SAR strategy I outlined a few posts back. I'm not up to it as yet, being a very raw NT newbie still.

Comment

coding in Wizard

Thanks for helping me customizes this for my auto trading systems you're an excellent Ninja Script consultant Ben.
                  Last edited by mainstream; 09-03-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mainstream View Post
                    When putting this indicator in the Wizard, what is the trigger?

Super trend plot UP trend = 1 --- for long?
                    Super trend plot DOWN trend = 1 --- for short?

I tried this and various other combination, and I could only get triggered trade with UP trend -> crosses below -> Down trend, etc.

orhow do you code this:

// Condition set 1

if (SuperTrend(14, 1.618).Trend[0] && !SuperTrend(14, 1.618).Trend[1])
                    EnterLong(DefaultQuantity, "Basketball Day in Chicago");

// Condition set 2
                    if (!SuperTrend(14, 1.618).Trend[0] && SuperTrend(14, 1.618).Trend[1])
                    {
                    EnterShort(DefaultQuantity, "Football Day in Chicago");

In the wizard. Thanks for the help.
                    The "Trend" is boolSeries, and you have to ask NinjaTrader development team, why NinjaTrader users are not able to access boolSeries from the strategy wizard. So you will have to unlock your strategy code and do a little "hand job". No wizard for SuperTrend... That means it's not so "Super"...

Comment

The Wizard will only pick up plots. BoolSeries are not plots and as such are not picked up by the Wizard.
                      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The 'trend' value seems to be redundant, the indicator works fine in the strategy wizard using the plots.

Comment

Super Trend Strategy

i'm trying to make this indicator a strategy...any ideas?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by duck_CA View Post
                            i'm trying to make this indicator a strategy...any ideas?

thanks
                            Here is a basic strategy. It took 30 seconds with the wizard.
                            Attached Files

Comment

indicator to strategy

thanks...
                              i have been pounding my head trying to figure this out...

Comment

cant seem to download this

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by mishhh, 05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
                                19 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rene69851  
                                Started by gwenael, Today, 09:29 AM
                                0 responses