How to get rid of this warning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
    Thank you very much for that information. Would it still be possible to get either a code sample, or the steps for compiling built-in NinjaScript code with Visual Studio that you are using?
    I'm not sure what you are asking for.
    • The information I gave you specifies the exact NT source file and line number causing the warning. Does that not meet your request for a source file exhibiting the issue?
    • Visual Studio -- I am using the solution provide by NT when I clicked on the "Open project in Visual Studio" button in the NT source editor. Visual studio puts up warnings and errors as I type. I can also use the standard VS build commands to be sure I generate all warnings, even though the result cannot be run by NT. Also, if I have a build error in the NT editor VS will display the errors and warnings when I move the focus back to VS.

Comment

I believe it is likely something to do with the way the project is set up. It may be the case that zipping up a simple project surrounding a basic indicator or strategy, such as one of the ones NinjaTrader's wizards generate, may be the easiest solution.

My goal is to collect enough information that our developers will be able to reproduce the same warning and error messages you are seeing, or at least most of them. This message in particular is likely due to a symbol name in one of our source files being similar to a symbol name in one of our dlls.

If our developers can reproduce this on their end, they can resolve this query for a broad class of users, including yourself, using Visual Studio. We can not support Visual Studio directly; the NinjaTrader compiler is the only method of generating add-ons to NinjaTrader that we can fully document, that falls completely within the scope of our support. However, we do strive to make the user experience as terrific as we can for as many customers as possible.

Any information you can give us that will lead to our developers having a complete picture, that will let them see what you are seeing, will be appreciated.
      Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I believe it is likely something to do with the way the project is set up. It may be the case that zipping up a simple project surrounding a basic indicator or strategy, such as one of the ones NinjaTrader's wizards generate, may be the easiest solution.

My goal is to collect enough information that our developers will be able to reproduce the same warning and error messages you are seeing, or at least most of them. This message in particular is likely due to a symbol name in one of our source files being similar to a symbol name in one of our dlls.

If our developers can reproduce this on their end, they can resolve this query for a broad class of users, including yourself, using Visual Studio. We can not support Visual Studio directly; the NinjaTrader compiler is the only method of generating add-ons to NinjaTrader that we can fully document, that falls completely within the scope of our support. However, we do strive to make the user experience as terrific as we can for as many customers as possible.

Any information you can give us that will lead to our developers having a complete picture, that will let them see what you are seeing, will be appreciated.
        Jessica,

Thanks for being so helpful. I'm trying to cooperate. I am just using the standard solution that NT provides when I go to VS from the NT editor. The only change I have made is to add my own indicator and addon files. I have made no other content changes and I have made no project/solution changes of any kind. Is there some further information that would help you to help us?

I agree that the large number of 0436 warnings is probably project setup. The 0618 warnings (only 4 of them) appear to be source file fixes needed -- the source is using obsolete functions -- scarcely a good example for developers who model after the provided indicators.
        Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 08-09-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

That should be everything we need. I'll follow up with you as soon as we are able to reproduce and confirm this behavior, and again as we progress toward a solution.

Comment

That should be everything we need. I'll follow up with you as soon as we are able to reproduce and confirm this behavior, and again as we progress toward a solution.
            Thanks again Jessica. I appreciate your effort on this, and I am confident others also appreciate it.

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur, one last question I had,

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
              I am just using the standard solution that NT provides when I go to VS from the NT editor.
              I am unsure what the standard solution you are referring to here is. Do you have any web resources bookmarked, or file locations in a standard Ninja installation, that I can use as a starting point?

Comment

I am unsure what the standard solution you are referring to here is. Do you have any web resources bookmarked, or file locations in a standard Ninja installation, that I can use as a starting point?
                NT documentation says to go to the NT source editor and then click on the VS button (the last one on the right in the toolbar). That opens up Visual Studio using a solution and project that NT has provided. There is no documentation about how NT set up the solution and project, but surely your developers know that information. It does include all of the NT source for things NT wants us to have access to, such as NT indicators.

Does that help?

Comment

Just read the text of the error. It is clearly saying that it is getting a clash between the source file from NT, and the Vendor.dll gumball file. These are being reached in the same space, so it is hardly surprising. There is no need to do anything special to see the warnings. Just build using VS, and you will see the warnings. Yes, even on a pristine, just installed, NT8, with absolutely nothing added. They pretty much always show up in VS, because it is how things are setup by NT itself.
                  Warning CS0436 893 The type 'TextPosition' in 'Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\DrawingTools\@Text.cs' conflicts with the imported type 'TextPosition' in 'NinjaTrader.Vendor, Version=8.0.0.12, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. Using the type defined in 'Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\DrawingTools\@Text.cs'. Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\DrawingTools\@Text.cs

Comment

This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Comment

Thank you, Jessica. It will be really nice to not have all of those NT warnings, so my own stand out immediately.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Trader146, 03-29-2024, 01:22 PM
                      4 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Trader146  
                      Started by elirion, Today, 09:48 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post elirion