Problem with two parallel assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with two parallel assemblies

I have two assemblies - let us call them A and B - installed with NinjaTrader 7.0.

The exposed values of assembly A are called by another indicator that I have coded. There is a reference to assembly A appearing in the context menu of the editor.

Now, assembly B, which has nothing to do with assembly A and which is not referenced, cannot be removed, because assembly A is referenced by another file.

This does not make sense!

To remove assembly B, I first had to delete the indicator referencing assembly A. Once I had done this, assembly B could be removed. Then I reimported that indicator again.

Any ideas?

Harry, were those 2 assemblies exported without any additional references present i.e from a clean NT7 install?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

There were no additional references present, and it was a clean install.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Harry, were those 2 assemblies exported without any additional references present i.e from a clean NT7 install?

Comment

Ok, so as you exported Assembly A, Assembly B was not present nor referenced? Same the other way round for exporting Assembly B in your example.

Comment

Please re-read my note: I did not export anything. I had installed two NinjaTrader assemblies (one of them from the download section here, the jtEconNews indicator, which installs an assembly).

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...catid=1&id=279 (corrected)

I wanted to remove this indicator, and this was not possible, because the other one was referenced. Why can't I remove an assembly B (not referenced), if there is an assembly A (referenced)?

This was the question! Nothing exported.

Ok, so as you exported Assembly A, Assembly B was not present nor referenced? Same the other way round for exporting Assembly B in your example.
          Edit: False link replaced with correct one.
          Last edited by Harry; 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Hi Harry, thanks for clarifying - I thought you created the assemblies yourself on your end - if I follow your link I would only see a regular indicator being shared, not an assembly version - would you mind sending me the assemblies and indicator calling one of those needed to support at ninjatrader dot com so I can look into it?

Thanks

Comment

Sorry Bertrand, I had given a false link below, this is the correct link. The indicator installs the assembly jNinjaTrader.dll. To uninstall this - as I did not want to keep it -, I had to remove the reference of an indicator that I had coded, which accessed another vendor assembly.

Comment

Harry,

I went through the same process on my end. I imported an indicator that had a DLL reference.

I then imported the JT indicator with DLL you linked too.

I then went to File->Utilities->Remove NinjaScript Assembly and I was still able to remove the DLL A without any issue.

Did I get your steps correct?

If so and I was not able to duplicate what was the original DLL name that you had to remove that was in conflict?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Brett, thanks for answering. This comes close to what I did.

I was unable to remove the JT indicator, because the other indicator was referenced. The other indicator was a vendor assembly, cannot send you that one. So let me try to reproduce this with a simple assembly created from one of the NinjaTrader system indicators. If I can reproduce the issue with the JT indicator and the system indicator assembly, I will post it here tomorrow.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                  Harry,

I went through the same process on my end. I imported an indicator that had a DLL reference.

I then imported the JT indicator with DLL you linked too.

I then went to File->Utilities->Remove NinjaScript Assembly and I was still able to remove the DLL A without any issue.

Did I get your steps correct?

If so and I was not able to duplicate what was the original DLL name that you had to remove that was in conflict?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Reproducible - Please Follow the Steps as Indicated Below

Brett or Bertrand, could now reproduce this with an assembly which is attached.

I have created an assembly (simulating the vendor assembly) from the original NinjaTrader Pivots indicator, which was renamed to PivotsA for this purpose. The PivotsA assembly is attached below.

I have then coded a sample indicator PivotsASatellite, which accesses that assembly. The sample indicator can be only imported after the assembly that it references.

To reproduce the problem, please proceed as follows.

(1) Import PivotsA assembly (attached)
                    (2) Import sample indicator PivotsASatellite (attached)
                    (3) Import jtNinjaTrader_v1.zip (economic news indicator, attached)
                    (4) Display PivotsASatellite and jtEconNewAddIn on a chart, just to control that they are working (Screenshot 1)
                    (5) Now try to remove the jNinjaTrader assembly
                    (6) You will be rewarded with an error message (Screenshot 2)

The jNinjaTrader assembly representing the economic news indicator can not be removed.

To remove it, I first have to delete the PivotsASatellite indicator, which is not related to it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Harry for posting the steps and details, I'll look into reproducing here shortly.

Comment

Harry, I could reproduce it here - we'll look into - I could manually remove the jtEcoNews assembly though from the custom folder and then restart NT without issues and still use the other demo indicator you created.

Thanks for your support.

Comment

Bertrand, thanks for your answer.

I was often told by support not to copy and remove files manually from the directory. So I try to follow the rules.

Of course I can find a solution. But other customers may not understand, why the assembly that they installed 5 minutes ago cannot be removed anymore.

Harry, I could reproduce it here - we'll look into - I could manually remove the jtEcoNews assembly though from the custom folder and then restart NT without issues and still use the other demo indicator you created.

Thanks for your support.

Comment

Harry, thanks again for reporting in this detailed - this is a bug which will be fixed. In the meantime you can use the workaround I provided if any need would arise to remove such an assembly.

Comment

Bertrand, no problem for me... and thanks for confirming.

Harry, thanks again for reporting in this detailed - this is a bug which will be fixed. In the meantime you can use the workaround I provided if any need would arise to remove such an assembly.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                              6 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post jgualdronc  
                              Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Touch-Ups