indicator won't plot in Strategy Analyzer chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

indicator won't plot in Strategy Analyzer chart

I'm not sure if this is an NT7-related issue or just an issue or maybe I am doing something wrong.

My Wizard-created strategy uses 2 EMAs with the same period. One of them has Offset=0, the other is Offset = -2. Both are set to Plot on Chart=True. However, when I look at the chart in Strategy Analyzer after running the backtest, I only see a single plot. I think both EMAs are plotting one on top of the other instead of offset, since if I change the period for one of them, two lines result.

When I do the same thing on a regular chart, (2 EMA's with same period on a chart, one of them with a displacement of -2), they do plot as separate lines.

Is "displacement" on a chart indicator different than "offset" in Strategy Wizard?
    Is "offset" able to accept a negative number? Isn't it okay to use a variable (int = -2) rather than strictly a number?
    Should I be using a different way to plot the regular EMA and also another one approx 2 ticks below?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LG; 11-13-2009, 03:59 PM. Reason: add screenshots

LG,

Offset is not the same as displacement. Offset is to change the actual comparison values of the EMA and not to move the line.

Offset works in adding positive values or subtracting values from the EMA value.

Plot on Chart, plots the base indicator as is with no modifications. If you want modifications, you need a different indicator with those modifications already in place.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

where can I find a description of exactly what is done by displacement and offset?

Comment

In our 6.5 Help Guide under the Condition Builder.

In short,

Offset == Is the value added or subtracted from the indicator value. If your indicator was a value of 100 and you specified an offset of 1, the total value is 101.

Displacement = Shifting the value of the indicator to the right by X. If X = 1, the current bar value would be equal to the indicator value 1 bar ago.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by sofortune, 05-18-2024, 11:48 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
        Started by Zach55, 02-19-2024, 07:22 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes