Drawing Tools "Attach to:" Inferior Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing Tools "Attach to:" Inferior Charts

In Properties we can set "attach to" all Charts, but while I want my 5-min Trendline displaying on the 2-min Chart, I don't want to see those (5-min Trend-Lines) showing on higher time-frame Charts (ie. 120-min Chart).

Can you please make available an extra parameter "Attach to" Inferior Charts (lower time-frame Charts).

As the smaller time-frame chart drawn trendlines are irrelevant on the bigger time-frame charts but the bigger time-frame charts drawn trendlines "are" relevant in the smaller time-frame charts.
    My 5min chart has many trendlines and my 240-min chart looks like a bowl of spaghetti, because so many trendlines seen (from the 5-min chart) that are of no relevance at all on the 240-min chart.

Hello Rainer,

I will forward your suggestion to our development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Thank you for your feedback.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Rainer,

You can accomplish what you like using the 'Show global draw objects' setting in the Data Series menu as well.

Please see the link below at 'How to edit Data Series parameters'.

Show global draw objects
      Enables or disables a global drawing object to be shown in this chart. (See the "Understanding local vs. global drawing objects" section of the Working with Drawing Tools & Objects section of the Help Guide for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
        You can accomplish what you like using the 'Show global draw objects' setting in the Data Series menu as well.

Please see the link below at 'How to edit Data Series parameters'.

Show global draw objects
        Enables or disables a global drawing object to be shown in this chart. (See the "Understanding local vs. global drawing objects" section of the Working with Drawing Tools & Objects section of the Help Guide for more information.
        If I'm correct, setting this setting to 'False' will show only the local draw objects (i.e. the lines that are attached to the specific instrument)?

It seems to me there is some kind of "spillover" bug. For example, I have two charts alongside each other (daily and 60min), and I switch these to different instruments when inspecting various stocks. So, the chart windows remain open, but the instrument gets manually changed. Today I noticed that the lines which I draw on instrument X also show up on the chart of instrument Y. Even though I've set Global draw objects to 'false'.

For example, please see the attachment for an visual representation of this problem. It seems that lines from other instruments are "hidden" (meaning: colored white) but still on the chart. That's why the scaling of the instrument on the attached screen is incorrect: a line on another chart is set to 'auto-scale', and this effect "spills-over" onto this chart.

Normally you wouldn't notice this behavior, but if you click vertically on the chart, the cursor changes into the "+" cursor, and double clicking popups up the Line Properties window.

Besides this "hidden line" behavior, these lines are still selectable by clicking on the chart area where they are drawn. In practice that means that I sometimes cannot select a valid drawn line, because other lines are "laying over it".

How can I disable this wierd behavior?

Regards,
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello J_o_s,

Correct, if 'Show global draw objects' is set to False, the chart will only display 'local' drawing objects.

Can you please tell me if you can reproduce the drawing object that remains available upon switching instruments in the same chart. If so, please tell me what exact steps you perform on your end. When I test this on my end, the drawing object is not available from the chart when selecting a different instrument. I do not see my cursor change at the location where I drew the object as per the initial instrument.

Please make sure you are on NinjaTrader 7.0.0.20 as well. You can check your version at Control Center-->Help-->About.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.
            Hello J_o_s,

Correct, if 'Show global draw objects' is set to False, the chart will only display 'local' drawing objects.

Can you please tell me if you can reproduce the drawing object that remains available upon switching instruments in the same chart. If so, please tell me what exact steps you perform on your end. When I test this on my end, the drawing object is not available from the chart when selecting a different instrument. I do not see my cursor change at the location where I drew the object as per the initial instrument.

Please make sure you are on NinjaTrader 7.0.0.20 as well. You can check your version at Control Center-->Help-->About.
            Ah, I didn't yet install the 7.0.0.20 version of NinjaTrader. So, I did a clean install, and also removed all the drawing objects from the charts, to start with a "clean slate". As far as I can see (I haven't drawn that many objects yet), this has solved the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Comment

Sadly enough, the problem seems to persist. This morning I've drawn some line objects (including 'auto scale lines') on charts, with 'Show global draw objects' on 'False', and the scaling of the chart is distorted. Besides that, the "selection +-sign" also shows when clicking on areas where there is a line "hidden" from a different chart.

Well, the "good" news is that I was able to reproduce the error. My layout has two charts, a 60 min intraday chart on the right, and a daily chart on the left. When switching to another stock, I type in the stock symbol in the right chart window (the 60min), followed by an enter. Because the two chart windows are "linked" through the button to the left of the minimize-button, both change when I type in a new stock symbol.

So, I again cleared all the charts of the draw objects (which, strangely happens also when I clear one chart window, i.e. removing the chart objects with "Removing Drawing Objects" -> "Select All" on stock X also removes the line on the window of stock Y).

I digress: to reproduce:
              (Clear all chart windows,)
              Step 1: Draw a line on a chart, and set this line to auto scale.
              Step 2: Switch to another instrument, and draw a line on this chart, and set this line to auto scale.
              Step 3: Exit NinjaTrader. When prompted to save the workspace, I clicked Yes.
              Step 4: Restart NinjaTrader. I exited with on of the charts (with the auto scale-line on it) in the foreground; and when NinjaTrader is restarted the scaling of this chart is wrong.

Please see the screenshots in the attached zip file, which makes it (hopefully) clearer.

Ps: When I tried to move a line (before I cleared all the chart windows), I couldn't select this line because the "hidden lines" where "above" it. This trying to move this line resulted in a NinjaTrader error ("NinjaTrader needs to shut down, etc"). I've also attached the trace file of this error, perhaps it can give some pointers to this wierd chart/lines behavior.

Ps2: I'm running NinjaTrader 7.0.0.20, Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit), with a Intel QuadCore Q 8300 @ 2.5 Ghz, with 4.00 GB internal memory.
              When I installed NinjaTrader beta 20, I followed the steps outline on the "Release Notes" to the letter.

Ps3: I'm using a "auto scale" line in the examples, however, the problem also show up with normal lines. I just began to notice it when lines are set to "auto scale".

Thanks in advance for your time and effort,

Regards,
              Attached Files
              Last edited by J_o_s; 08-26-2010, 11:49 AM. Reason: typo's

Comment

Hello J_o_s,

Thank you for your detailed description. I was able to reproduce the behavior on my end. I experience the same crash as well when trying to select the drawing object that is not visible.

I will forward your findings to Development. Thank you again for reporting.

Comment

Hello J_o_s,

Thank you for your detailed description. I was able to reproduce the behavior on my end. I experience the same crash as well when trying to select the drawing object that is not visible.

I will forward your findings to Development. Thank you again for reporting.
                  Thanks, glad to be of some help.

Regards,

Comment

Hi J_o_s !

The bug(s) you reported are fixed and the fix will be available with the next update of NinjaTrader. Thanks for reporting this behavior !

Kind regards,
                    Christian
                    ChristianSenior Software Developer

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Christian View Post
                      Hi J_o_s !

The bug(s) you reported are fixed and the fix will be available with the next update of NinjaTrader. Thanks for reporting this behavior !

Kind regards,
                      Christian
                      Ah that's great, thanks for the head-up. I'm quite impressed with the support and the speed in which this bug was solved.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post lightsun47  
                      Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post 00nevest