When chart is dragged, enable bars to fill into right margin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When chart is dragged, enable bars to fill into right margin

The behavior for the right margin is all wrong. When the bars are dragged from left to right, the bars should fill the right margin so it doesn't just become wasted space. When the bars are dragged back, the margin should once again become the margin.

This is how nearly every other charting platform works. NT should adopt this.

Hello,

If helpful, if you click the arrow at the top right (apparent after dragging the chart bars left/right) this should auto-snap the chart so that it goes to the right margin automatically.
    Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ryan,

I completely get that. What I'm saying is that the right margin is completely wasted space. Why can't we drag the bars to the right and have them fill in the margin area instead of just disappearing behind a curtain?

Most other trading platforms work that way. They shift the bars to the left (like NT) but when you drag them to view older bars, instead of hiding the right bars behind the margin they "push" the margin over and use up that screen real estate. Then, when they're dragged back the margin works like normal again.

Adam

Comment

Hello,

I'm not sure I'm understanding fully, the right margin is static, so there shouldn't be any change to the margin distance on the page. If scrolling the data back and forth, the chart display will display the same number of bars in the chart view, but scrolling back and forth and time will change what data/bars are being displayed respective to time.

If you click in the X axis and drag left and right, this will condense/expand the chart to show less/more bars/data, but again the right side margin size will stay the same.

Can you perhaps show a video or screenshot of the behavior you are seeing?

Comment

Ryan,

Here's a link showing what I'm describing.

Adam

Comment

If you right click the chart and select 'properties', can you verify the right margin setting is set to the default of 8?

Also, does this persist on a new chart with no template or indicators applied?

Comment

Ryan,

1. I understand I could set the right margin to 0 and be able to scroll... that's not the only problem I'm trying to solve.

2. IF I do that, my bars end up all the way on the right side of the screen. This is not good - I generally want the last bar to display approximately in the middle of the screen).

3. NT should work like ALL the other charting platforms offer. I want to be able to have the last bar print (real-time) somewhere in the middle of the screen (i.e. right margin of 500 px), BUT I don't want that white space to the right to go to waste when I drag the chart to the right. Again, all the other platforms have solved this.

NT is the only platform I've ever encountered that works differently. I have to imagine there's a way to accomplish what I'm saying.

Adam

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately this would not be possible, if setting the right margin to a value great enough to plot the last bar in the middle of the chart, this will effectively 'block off' the area to the right of the last bar on the chart.

Comment

Ryan, I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm just saying... "NT should dynamically REDUCE the right margin as bars are dragged back into it. In other words, make your margin area work differently."

All your responses seem to be oriented on how it works now - I'm saying change how it works so that real estate isn't wasted.

Comment

Hello,

Understood, I will submit this as feedback for our product team to consider for future functionality.

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I'll leave the YouTube video up if you would send that to them also. It shows the exact functionality I'm looking for. Long story short... don't waste that screen real estate... make it more useful.

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                      5 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Bidder
                      by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                      4 responses