Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup of custom added instruments

Hi,
    I am using several instruments that are not added by default to the platform. My issue is that these instruments are not included in any backup file. So each time when I need to do a full reinstall or when I migrate my VPS I have to manually re- add and map 20+ indexes.
    Could you please correct this? Or did - I miss a setting that enables this? I have tried with multiple backup settings but non of them seemed to accomplish this.
    Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Your NinjaTrader 8 instrument lists are stored in your db file, found at the following file location on your PC.

(My)Documents/NinjaTrader 8/db/NinjaTrader.sdf

However, you can also transfer this information by backing up on one PC, and then restoring onto the other. The following instructions will explain how to backup your NinjaTrader files to a second computer.

Please note that the following list is the items you can choose to include or exclude from your backup (Configuration files, Database, Historical Chart Data, Log and Trace files, Market Replay Data, NinjaScript Files, Templates, Workspaces). Many users exclude the historical chart data, log and trace files, and Market Replay data to reduce the file size.
    NinjaTrader 8:

Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to backup from and disconnect from any open connections if applicable.
    Go to Tools > Export > Backup File
    Select which items you would like to backup and click 'Run Backup'
    Email or Save the file to an external storage device. The file can be found in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8 Backup folder on your PC.
    Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to restore to and disconnect from any open connections if applicable.

Open the email with the backup file or connect the external storage and save the backup file to a destination of your choosing (I recommend the desktop as it is easy to find).
    Go to Tools > Import > Backup File...
    Select the backup file you created from the location you saved it
    I have also attached the Help Guide section regarding backup and restore below:

Help Guide - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ightsub=backup

Please let us know if we may provide further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Marco,
      Thanks but my problem is that despite selecting the database to backup, the custom instruments do not appear on the new installation (I am not selecting historical data to backup however as I am using some Tick data that take up large space). Only the Instrument list names and default instruments appear.
      I am following the same steps as you described.
      B.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to hear that didn't help. Testing the issue on my end, the historical data and the custom instruments and definitions are being re-imported successfully.

I'd like to take a look at your log and trace files for this issue. These files contain diagnostic information related to what is occurring on your platform that will help us resolve this issue in a timely manner.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "2878447 ATTN Marco G" in the subject line and a link to this forum post in the message body so I may investigate this matter further.

Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
        Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
        Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
        Once you have emailed these to us, you may delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item for you.
        Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Bidder
        by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
        4 responses