Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Instrument Overlays

Sirs,
    I know how to overlay one instrument onto another, but may we stack multiple instruments into one panel? I have attached a simple chart of seven instruments,I am only looking for movement so Y-axis price does not matter, and I don't care about relative position in a shared price scale. I thought this was possible. Please advise.
    Thank you.

Hello Fosterbe,

While it is possible to stack instruments within the same 'panel', this will make the chart less readable if more than two instruments are placed in the same panel. This is due to the scale justification being used differing greatly between different instruments.

To change this setting please edit the "Panel" on an existing data series. By default, a new instrument will be set to "New Panel". Setting this to the panel of an existing instrument will then merge it into this window.

In the below example I've created two 5-minute data series for the ES and NQ contracts, then set all of the data series' settings to transparent before applying a 1-period SMA to each data series (based on your screenshot it looks like this might be how you've set it up as well).

The ES appears in red, is in Panel 1, and has its 'Scale Justification' set to the right side.
    The NQ appears in green, is also in Panel 1 but has its 'Scale Justification' set to the left side instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	merged panel.png
Views:	450
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1111779

The reason why putting both in the same panel and using the same scale justification does not work is easily explained if you look at the results:

Name:	merged panel 2.png
Views:	384
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1111780

As NinjaTrader uses an automatic focus to ensure both values are in view, this would then result in the chart showing 7,000 points of empty data between the two values.

That means you can display up to 3 data series/indicators in the same window, as long as neither shares the scale justification of another.

In the below example I've added a third instrument (GC) and set it to the "overlay" justification. While this justification has no price ladder on either side, it allows the addition of an extra instrument.

Name:	merged panel 3.png
Views:	423
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1111782

If you would like to test this chart with its current settings (created for 3 data series') you may use the attached template.

To use this template, please first extract the included XML file and save it in the following folder, then apply it to a new or existing chart:

(My) Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Tempaltes > Chart

While this would not let you view more than 3 instruments per chart panel (you may have more instruments in more panels) it should make the chart more condensed and easier to read.

Please let me know, should you have any questions in this regard!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
    5 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post Bidder
    by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
    4 responses