Single Chart Window/Workspace backup/transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Chart Window/Workspace backup/transfer

I'd like to see the ability to save/back up/transfer a single chart/chart window/workspace. This all workspaces backup is ridiculous. I use a small screened laptop and a large multi-monitor PC. All my other platforms had the ability to go in the file folder and transfer just the charts or groups (workspaces) you want to another machine. Every time I have to move my work from on the road to the other machine and vice-versa it creates more work because it screws up all the charts and screen settings and I have to go resize everything, not to mention I use some aftermarket plug-ins that require connectivity to "verify license" each time and some charts in some workspaces use it so each time all the workspaces get imported it locks up until I can get online to let it verify itself again. (I know, it's a vendor caused issue but NT8 makes it so I can't avoid it). There has to be a better way to keep things synced up! I'd love for that to be automatic online or through my network but I'm sure that's waay to much to ask!
    Thanks

Hello Mongo,

Thanks for posting.

Your workspace and template files are located in Documents > NinjaTrader 8 (or 7). From this folder, you may copy the files for individual workspaces or templates.

Vendor licensing will always be something to consider when transferring to a different, but once they've verified your license initially you should be good to go.

We have an open feature quest for cloud saves of your workspaces and other settings. I have added your vote. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-1398. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:
    Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Tyler M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you,
      I think maybe you didn't get the right idea on some of that but to make it clear. I know you can move individual workspace files from the folder, that still isn't ideal for two reasons. If you are working in a workspace on a specific chart in window, say there's several tabs, when you are done and wanted to save just the work you've done on that chart to another machine, you have to break it out to a new window by itself, then carefully save just that chart as its own workspace, then you can transfer just that new workspace to get that chart window to another computer. It is not efficient and leaves you open to the possibility of messing up or not saving your original workspace with your other work (don't ask me how I found that out, lol, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's done that, that's why everyone asks for automatic workspace save as a feature!) Mostly a feature helpful to us who do a lot of repetitive chart work.
      So maybe an addendum to that feature request, you could always have an option on the Chart window Tab dropdown to "duplicate in/as new workspace" or something similar.

Regarding Vendors, you mentioned "once they've verified your license initially you should be good to go" well, apparently you don't use them all, that doesn't work for the one I'm using, every time you launch NT8 offline or with a new workspace, their annoying "verification" popup is launched. I know, It's the vendors issue, not Ninjatrader.

Again, the big picture is there are still many little nuances to customizing your charts and workspaces that Ninjatrader can improve on (Just today I didn't want the date number above the scrollbar, just the month letter, the numbers cluttered it up too much) like today I would've liked the ability to have the vertical grid bars only visible for the division of (Year/month/week) or a set number of bars/days, not a separate indicator or drawing tool.

Keep up the good work,
      thanks for the reply...

Comment

Hello Mongo,

Thanks for posting.

Individual chart tabs may be saved as templates. This will allow you to transfer a chart setup into multiple workspaces. You can save a chart that has multiple tabs by saving each tab as a template. This is true of most other windows as well, such as the Market analyzer or the SuperDOM. I've provided a link below with more information about this feature:

I've submitted a feature request for further customization of the time display for charts. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-4825. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

There is also an open feature request to allow the vertical grid lines on a chart to be set / locked with static intervals. I have added your vote. The internal tracking number for this feature request is SFT-1185.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Well it seems you guys don't really listen, no surprise as I've seen requests from years back with no action. I know how to save a Template and switching the discussion to Market Analyzer is pointless. If I save a Template, it's not saving all the work (drawings and indicators) I've placed on the chart. When I've done a bunch of work and analysis on a chart, I'd like the ability to move , transfer, or copy the entire friggin chart into the workspace of my choosing. I don't want to take the chance of mucking up a working customized workspace while trying different techniques, etc on only one instrument. I went through all this before and am currently rebuilding all my workspaces, data, and charts because of limitations in NT8. Please don't change the meaning of my post just so you can say you answered my request, if you don't understand it you can ask for clarification but I really don't think you need it.

Comment

Drawing objects are not saved into chart templates. I have added your vote to the open feature request SFT-2354 to have drawing objects included when a chart template is saved.

Indicators and other chart settings should always be saved when you save a chart template. If you're finding this not to be the case, please write in to platformsupportATninjatraderDOTcom, and include your log and trace files using the steps below:
            • Open your NinjaTrader folder under, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents")
            • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
            • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
            • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
            Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Massinisa  
            Started by Creamers, Today, 05:32 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes