Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

the Probability row in the trade performance summary does not add up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Probability row in the trade performance summary does not add up.

If the "Probability" row in the Trade Performance Summary of your NinjaTrader platform is showing a value of 0.14% and you have taken a total of 167 trades with 90 winning trades, it is possible that there may be an error in the calculation or the value may not have updated correctly.

Based on the formula for calculating the Probability, which is the number of winning trades divided by the total number of trades, the probability of a winning trade in your case would be:

Probability = (Number of Winning Trades) / (Total Number of Trades) Probability = 90 / 167 Probability = 0.5393 or 53.93%

Therefore, if you have a 53.93% win rate, it is unlikely that the Probability row would show a value of only 0.14%. You may want to double-check your calculation or contact NinjaTrader support for assistance in resolving any issues with the platform.

please advise
    ​

Hello hdge4u,

The Probability statistic is one that does not have a specific formula documented which means this is an internal only calculation. I wouldn't be able to say if the formula you provided is what is being used. The description of the formula includes the standard deviation and students t-distribution as part of the logic to calculate that value so there is likely more to it than what you provided.

Understanding Probability

Probability
    This statistic determines how likely a trade is to occur that would return the same PnL as your Avg. trade. This is based on how many trade's PnL fall within a standard deviation of the Avg. trade. Student's t-distribution is used to find probability.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...sub=statistics

If you wanted to calculate the proabality with the formula you have given you could create a custom performance metric: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ce_metrics.htm
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
      Hello hdge4u,

The Probability statistic is one that does not have a specific formula documented which means this is an internal only calculation. I wouldn't be able to say if the formula you provided is what is being used. The description of the formula includes the standard deviation and students t-distribution as part of the logic to calculate that value so there is likely more to it than what you provided.
      NinjaTrader_Jesse Shouldn't the formula be documented? Unless this is a NinjaTrader secret formula, and it does not sound like it is, it should probably be described accurately so that users can understand whether it applies best to their situation.
      Bruce DeVault
      QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello QuantKey_Bruce,

That would be up to development to decide what is able to be documented. What is able to be documented is put in the help guide.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by hdge4u View Post
          If the "Probability" row in the Trade Performance Summary of your NinjaTrader platform is showing a value of 0.14% and you have taken a total of 167 trades with 90 winning trades, it is possible that there may be an error in the calculation or the value may not have updated correctly.

Based on the formula for calculating the Probability, which is the number of winning trades divided by the total number of trades, the probability of a winning trade in your case would be:

Probability = (Number of Winning Trades) / (Total Number of Trades) Probability = 90 / 167 Probability = 0.5393 or 53.93%

Therefore, if you have a 53.93% win rate, it is unlikely that the Probability row would show a value of only 0.14%. You may want to double-check your calculation or contact NinjaTrader support for assistance in resolving any issues with the platform.

please advise
          â
          "Probability" on Strategy performance is not win rate. Probability is defined as "This statistic determines how likely a trade is to occur that would return the same PnL as your Avg. trade. This is based on how many trade's PnL fall within a standard deviation of the Avg. trade. Student's t-distribution is used to find probability."

Percent Profitable is what you want (win rate)

Regardless, I think the value that is presented is wrong. 87.5% win rate with my strategy and the probability is 0.14% as well.
          Last edited by StrongLikeBull; 05-03-2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

i've just given up on those metrics and calculate my own. i have been a lifetime license holder for more than 7 years. its always been wrong or a mystery to me, so i paid not attention to the value.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
              Hello hdge4u,

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...sub=statistics

If you wanted to calculate the proabality with the formula you have given you could create a custom performance metric: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ce_metrics.htm
              now that t stats have entered the conversation, its all meaningless to me from here.

Comment

When it comes to something like a performance metric, if it isn't a documented formula it might as well not be in there. Performance metrics seem to me to be a special case in that this is in large part how traders decide whether to trust a strategy. I don't think a black box performance metric would find widespread acceptance or maybe even any acceptance.
                Bruce DeVault
                QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
                  When it comes to something like a performance metric, if it isn't a documented formula it might as well not be in there. Performance metrics seem to me to be a special case in that this is in large part how traders decide whether to trust a strategy. I don't think a black box performance metric would find widespread acceptance or maybe even any acceptance.
                  great perspective. i wonder how legit the r square metric is. pretty sure that ones documented. i realize that NT is fairly straight forward at the GUI level and that if i find myself looking longer than 5 minutes, it makes sense to ask for clarity. NT benefits outweigh the costs. now coding...is another matter.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                  8 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
                  Started by alancurry, Today, 06:53 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post alancurry