chrome is most popular
    safari also popular

Firefox well...its still about

any thoughts?

MicroTrends
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - micro-trends.co.uk

Hello MicroTrends,

Thanks for your post.

The suggested web browser to use for NinjaTrader is the Chrome web browser.

That said, if you are not comfortable using the Chrome web browser then you could use whatever browser you are most comfortable with.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
    Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
      Hello MicroTrends,

Thanks for your post.

The suggested web browser to use for NinjaTrader is the Chrome web browser.

That said, if you are not comfortable using the Chrome web browser then you could use whatever browser you are most comfortable with.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
      yes i agree with Chrome
      Social login for google account + yep great browser for this
      MicroTrends

Comment

Crowdsourcing this yields the following: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...de-since-2009/. Chrome is preferred about 2/3 of all users of the web, with Apple's Safari coming in second and no other PC browser has even a five percent share to Chrome's more than 65 percent share.

Put another way, when you're designing a commercial website like NinjaTrader is, you absolutely have to work with Chrome because otherwise, 2/3 of all web users are on a browser you haven't built it for. So, knowing that, as a user, you'll most likely want to use the browser they built it for.
        Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 03-17-2023, 02:39 PM.
        Bruce DeVault
        QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

But if websites are "built for" ONE particular browser, that could mean 1/3 of all users are at risk of a non-functioning aspect of the site. ... and that could be as many as 1/3 of most of humanity? Quite a large potential audience to disregard.

And how you design and build websites speaks to how you design and build software and other architectures that affect people. Best practice is not about satisfying a majority to the possible disenfranchisement of minorities in some ways, greater or lesser in nature. It is about ensuring the product (or service) is genuinely accessible.

You only have to look at the large number of difficulties experienced by users with the new NinjaTrader website that witness to the fact that many users do not use the "preferred" browser. Nor should it be preferred in any way. Respect for users means designing and building in a way that meets a variety of standards and also caters to common alternatives to the "majority" browser. It is entirely inappropriate to infer any mandate for a particular browser.

This is just simple respect and good sense, but it pays dividends (literally and figuratively).

Thanks.
          Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
          jeronymite
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
            Crowdsourcing this yields the following: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...de-since-2009/. Chrome is preferred about 2/3 of all users of the web, with Apple's Safari coming in second and no other PC browser has even a five percent share to Chrome's more than 65 percent share.

Put another way, when you're designing a commercial website like NinjaTrader is, you absolutely have to work with Chrome because otherwise, 2/3 of all web users are on a browser you haven't built it for. So, knowing that, as a user, you'll most likely want to use the browser they built it for.
            1000% agreed - you do get some odd browser choices by people
            1) make it work with chrome as the most popular... and the other mainstream as bootstrap did but even so you need to tweak for the odd browser and possibly js dom - but mostly browsers are pretty good today at following the standards.

2) 2 google account work seamlessly as a profile so this is a 2nd reason with the social login or local account login
            3) Apple again - social login and mac
            they got it covered.

Edge in some respects is quicker at rendering - but chrome all round no1.... and even with bing ai that is not going to change....anytime soon.
            MicroTrends

Comment

I think developers should make a reasonable effort to support the standards and to make things work with all reasonably popular browsers... what I'm saying is that as a user, if I want to have a good experience and minimize the drama involved in using a web-based program I should default to using the browser that they most likely built the website for... and that would almost certainly be the browser used by 2/3 of all users. If I prefer another browser, that's fine, but if I have any trouble, I should know right away to try the browser used by 2/3 of all users because, most likely, the website developer tested that one more.
              Bruce DeVault

Comment

BTW, some of the 'other' browsers, such as Firefox, are using the Chromium engine.
                eDanny
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Originally posted by eDanny View Post
                  BTW, some of the 'other' browsers, such as Firefox, are using the Chromium engine.
                  As does Edge since 2020. Apparently, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
                  Bruce DeVault

Comment

I personally don't like Chrome. I am using Firefox as my browser. Are you telling me that I will not be able to have NT Web working smoothly with Firefox ?

Comment

No, no one said that. What was said was, paraphrasing, that if you have trouble, besides reporting it so NinjaTrader can try to improve support for less popular browsers, you could try it in Chrome because that's probably the best tested since that's what the most people use so you can move forward.
                      Bruce DeVault

Comment

If your browser of choice uses the Chromium engine, you will likely be just fine.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromi...rowser)#Active (EDIT: Fixed URL)

I used Firefox the other day to test/experience the new NT web platform and it worked just fine. I even made a few ticks!
                        Last edited by StealthM93; 04-10-2023, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Firefox does not use Chromium.

They used to use their Gecko engine, but now use Quantum.

Whether you searched for a fast browser that protects your privacy, this FAQ is here to answer the most pressing Firefox-related questions.

Comment

That is so not true. On the contrary, Firefox is basically the last major browser not based on Chromium. I have no idea where you would come up with such false information.

Comment

My mistake. When shopping for another browser after my password manager was broken by updates to Chrome for many months, I read that Firefox was using chromium but decided see if it would also break my manager, and it didn't. I guess that is why.
                              eDanny
                              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              15 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post xiinteractive  
                              Started by Tim-c, Today, 02:10 PM
                              1 response