Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Price skipped SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price skipped SL

Hello,

today we got ISSUE that we were in position at 2.30 on NQ. There were fundaments which cause price make about 100points on nq 2 seconds during that, our SL was "skipped"... SL was in chart price was below it and we were still in position our sl was about 8 times larges than expected.

How can we solve this? Only thing that comes to my mind is to close position before 2.30. or did I place wrong sl?

Thanks for comments

Pavel
    Attached Files

Hello Pavel,

Thank you for your post.

If your inquiry involves live orders, please always reach out to your broker's Orders Desk immediately to confirm and manage your live orders and positions.

Please answer all of the following:
    • Did this occur on a live account or a simulated account?
    • Did you receive an error on the screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    • Is the strategy 'FondStrategy' one that you developed or was it imported from a third party?
    • What type of order was the Stop Loss order?
      • If it was a limit order, for example, a fill is not guaranteed. Only the price is guaranteed if the order is filled, though the price can move so quickly that the order does not get filled. Order fills on a live account are not determined by the NinjaTrader platform, they are determined by the broker/exchange.
      • For more information on order types: https://support.ninjatrader.com/s/ar...language=en_US
    I look forward to your reply.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello.

here are answers:
      • this occured on Live account (broker Ninja)
      • no error occured
      • strategy was developed by ourselves
      • SL order was made by command - SetStopLoss(tradeItem.EntryName, CalculationMode.Price, tradeItem.StopLoss_Price, false); followed by limit order ​EnterLongLimit(timeFrameTicks, true, t.Contracts, t.EntryPrice, t.EntryName);
      how should i place SL properly?

Comment

i also see there was applied moving sl at 14:25:03​
        ​​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	29
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1291147

Comment

Hello kujista,

Thank you for your reply.

The SetStopLoss() method submits a limit order for the stop loss unless the "isSimulatedStop" bool is set to true, in which case the platform will simulate the stop order and submit it as a market order once triggered. It is up to you which order type works best, though as I mentioned before a limit order is not guaranteed to be filled. The price can move so quickly that your order does not get filled. If you use a simulated stop, it would submit a market order once the stop price is hit which would result in a fill but it may not be at the exact stop loss price since a market order is filled at the best available price when executed.

Otherwise, you could consider programming Exit() methods into your strategy instead of SetStopLoss() and use the desired order type for your stop loss if you want an order that is guaranteed to fill vs. a limit order that has a guaranteed fill price if it is filled (the limit price or better). All order methods for the Managed Approach are listed in the help guide here:

If you have questions about this order for the orders desk, you may contact them at orders[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with the Order ID and they will gladly look into it for you.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Emily View Post
            The SetStopLoss() method submits a limit order for the stop loss unless the "isSimulatedStop" bool is set to true, in which case the platform will simulate the stop order and submit it as a market order once triggered.
            Wait, a 'limit order for the stop loss'?

Huh? Are you sure?

That doesn't sound right.

The documentation clearly states,
            "Stop loss orders are submitted as stop-market orders"

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post

Wait, a 'limit order for the stop loss'?

Huh? Are you sure?

That doesn't sound right.

The documentation clearly states,
              "Stop loss orders are submitted as stop-market orders"
              Hello bltdavid,

Thank you for chiming in!

My apologies to kujista; a stop loss order is a stop-market order. I was thinking of profit target orders that are submitted as limit orders by default and got my wires crossed. I do still recommend checking with the orders desk regarding what happened with this particular order if you have any questions about why it was not filled when you expected it to be executed:
              If you have questions about this order for the orders desk, you may contact them at orders[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with the Order ID and they will gladly look into it for you.
              Thank you for your time and patience. Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by pibrew, Today, 06:37 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post pibrew
              by pibrew

Started by rbeckmann05, Yesterday, 06:48 PM
              1 response