Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT8 Manual Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 Manual Backup

Hello,

NT crashed during playback and will not reopen without reinstalling. I'm worried that I will lose my workspaces, analyzers, strategies, indicators, etc. I need to know every folder/file that I should manually backup from my file system so that I can reinstall NT8.

The only info I've found is using NT backup and restore feature from the UI, but of course in my case the UI will not open. The screenshots show prompts to recompile my code, but I cannot do that without the UI, and the UI will not open until I compile. This is a circular situation.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jflaggs; 01-27-2024, 11:24 PM.

Hello jflaggs,

Thanks for your post.

Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader and move the files from the old NinjaTrader folder to the new one.
    ​​
    • Close all running applications.
    • Navigate to your Documents folder > Right click on the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder > Rename > rename the folder to 'NinjaTrader 8 OLD'. DO NOT delete this folder.
    • Uninstall NinjaTrader within the Windows Control Panel.
    • Navigate to C:\ > Program File > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below.
    • Once reinstalled, you will now have 2 NinjaTrader folders in your Documents, the old one and the new one. Open two file explorer windows and open the new one in one and the old one in another.
    • Drag the following items from the old folder to the new one (folders should automatically merge)
      • Config.xml and UI.xml
      • Workspaces folder (if it asks to overwrite the _Workspaces.xml file, say yes)
      • Templates folder (if it asks to overwrite anything, say no)
      • db folder (you can overwrite any files in here)
      • bin folder (do not overwrite ANY duplicate files).
    • Once complete, restart NinjaTrader. You may get a few initial errors. Open a NinjaScript Editor and run a compile, then, if no additional errors are received, restart NinjaTrader and try again to import the strategy.
    ​Please let us know if we may assist further.
    Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I followed these instructions exactly and none of my custom addons, assemblies, strategies, or indicators were copied over. Do I need to manually copy them from the old folder to the new one?

FYI Windows has a new way of "merging" folders and no longer asks if you want to overwrite. The options are to "merge" or "skip". So I selected skip when overwrite was not allowed in your instructions.
      Last edited by jflaggs; 01-28-2024, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Hello jflaggs,

Thanks for your notes.

After copying the bin folder from the NinjaTrader 8 OLD folder to the new NinjaTrader 8 folder, you will need to open a New > NinjaScript Editor window, right-click in the Editor window, and select 'Compile' to run a compile so changes could take effect.

After running a compile, I would expect the custom scripts to appear.

If they do not appear, it could be caused by custom scripts not being copied from the NinjaTrader 8 OLD folder to the new NinjaTrader 8 folder.

You could copy custom script .cs files from the NinjaTrader 8 OLD folder to the new NinjaTrader 8 folder and run a compile in the NinjaScript Editor window.

Custom indicators are located in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Indicators folder.

Custom strategies are located in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\Strategies folder.
        Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That's correct, none of the custom stuff was copied over during the "merge" process. I think it's the way windows does merging, so these instructions may need to be updated for windows 10+. That's what I was trying to suggest.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by StockTrader88, 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM
          45 responses
          3 likes
          Last Post johntraderuser2  
          Started by TAJTrades, Today, 09:46 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post TAJTrades