Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Analysis of Fast and Slow EMA's - Seems inverted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analysis of Fast and Slow EMA's - Seems inverted

For past several months, I have noticed that when SLOW EMA is ABOVE the FAST EMA the market is going UP and when the FAST EMA is ABOVE the SLOW EMA the market is going DOWN on the 15 minute chart. This is counterintuitive to just about everything I have learned. I found this while optimizing a strategy and it is consistent when paired with a Volume EMA of 20. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know what this means? Note, this occurs on the MES 15 minute chart.
    Last edited by JasonTrades; 01-25-2024, 12:04 AM.

Hello JasonTrades,

The EMA calculation is a moving average which is derived from the bar values that it is applied to based on the period being used. While I can't comment on the relation of the fast and slow in regard to the market moving up and down you can manually do the math that the EMA does using the chart values if you wanted to better understand how those values are reached. The relation of the slow being above the fast when the market is moving up would be considered trading theory which is not something our support staff can really comment on, other users can certainly chime in here if they have any experience with that specific market and the values they commonly see for different market conditions.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
    4 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post dp8282
    by dp8282

Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
    0 responses