Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Scaling out of a position using strategy builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling out of a position using strategy builder

Hi,
    I'm looking for some guidance or an example of how to add profit targets to my strategy builder. An example of what I'm attempting to have my strategy do would be:
    I enter the market with 10 contracts, and I want to exit 5 contracts after 20 ticks, then exit the last 5 after 40 ticks.
    Since the stop loss portion of my strategy uses a Trigger State variable to exit/manage the position, I'm unable to take advantage of the "Stops and Targets" tab of the strategy builder. The stop loss part of my strategy works perfectly fine, but I would like for my strategy to scale out of a position as well. I know that I would need to use separate entry signals, but I'm not sure what other conditions I would need to add for the exit. Looking for some help, thanks

Hello Mikey_,

Use separate entries with unique Signal Names for each quantity you want to scale out.
    With the exit orders, set the From Entry Signal to each of the Signal Names of the entries.

Below is a link to an example.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello Mikey_,

Use separate entries with unique Signal Names for each quantity you want to scale out.
      With the exit orders, set the From Entry Signal to each of the Signal Names of the entries.

Below is a link to an example.
      https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...80#post1077380
      Thanks for your reply Chelsea,
      The Scale out Builder example uses the profit target feature within the "stops and targets" tab of the strategy builder. I'm looking for the same function of the profit target but within the "conditions and actions" tab. I understand the entry part has to use different signal names, but its the exit part that has me confused. The exit order has to include the entry signal name, but how would I be able to have one of my entries exit after 20 ticks in my favor ?​

Comment

Hello Mikey_,

Are you wanting to place a limit order 20 ticks above the entry?

Are you wanting to submit a market order after the price has risen 20 ticks above the entry?

The example below demonstrates calculating an order price and using this for the order which is re-submitted on each new bar to keep the order alive.
        The example is with a stop order, but the same concept can be applied to a limit order.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Bidder
        by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
        4 responses