Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Compiling Disables Chart Trader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiling Disables Chart Trader

I'm building a strategy to puts buttons at the bottom of chart trader panel. Whenever I make a code adjustment and compile the script, the chart trader panel becomes non-functional. Specifically, my mouse cursor becomes a double ended arrow as if I were to expand or shrink the panel. The arrows don't allow me to expand or shrink the panel and I can't click the normal buttons in the panel.

Hello tak145,

Thanks for your post.

So we may accurately assist you, please answer all the questions below.
    • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.?.?)
    • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    • If you test the SampleWPFModifications reference sample from the help guide, do you see the same behavior occurring?

Please share a reduced exported copy of the script and the exact steps and settings you are using to reproduce the behavior so we may try to reproduce it on our end. Note that a reduced copy refers to a copy of the script that contains the minimum amount of code needed to reproduce the issue. All other code is commented out or removed.

To create a copy of your script to modify, open a New > NinjaScript Editor, select your script, right-click in the Editor, select 'Save as', name the script, and click OK.​

​​To export the reduced copy, go to Tools > Export > NinjaScript AddOn.

If you have the strategy enabled on the chart window and you make changes to the strategy code and compile, you will need to remove the instance of the strategy from the chart window and then re-add the strategy back to the chart to ensure the new instance of the strategy is being used.

This means after making code changes and compiling, remove the strategy from the chart window and the re-add the strategy back to the chart so any changes you made take effect.
    Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the reply.
      • I'm using 8.0.28.0 64-bit.
      • I don't get an onscreen error. I haven't checked the logs but will.
      • My strategy has 10 buttons (not all functional yet) and 1000 lines of code. I test my scripts in a simple 1 chart Workspace and in Playback mode but the issue occurs while live too.
      • I have tried various conditions when re-compiling (ChartTrader Off/Hidden etc., Removed Strategy, Strategy Enabled etc.).
      • Let me try more troubleshooting over the next week based on your feedback. I like the idea of reducing the code to see when the issue gets triggered. I think I have other 'on chart' Strategies that might exhibit the same issue but they are much simpler.

Comment

The issue is not related to my Strategy being loaded in the Chart Trader window. I created a new workspace with one chart (no indicators). When I compile any custom indicator or strategy while the Chart Trader is open, I get the double arrows to resize the CT panel.

Any ideas? I have some Add On's from developers but those aren't loaded on the chart or workspace.

Comment

Hello tak45,

Thanks for your notes.

To rule out any third-party add-ons or other NinjaScripts, please create a clean environment by following the steps below and try reproducing the behavior in the clean environment.

Creating a clean environment can be done by following the steps below:
          1. Close NinjaTrader 8, and rename the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents to something like: "NinjaTrader 8 OLD"
          2. Uninstall NinjaTrader from the Windows Control Panel and reinstall using the installer from account.ninjatrader.com
          3. After reinstalling, open NinjaTrader and test to see if the behavior persists in the clean environment.
          If you ever need to switch back to your original platform, you may do so by closing NinjaTrader and swapping the platform folder names.

For example, Close NinjaTrader and rename the new "NinjaTrader 8" folder to "NinjaTrader 8 NEW" and the "NinjaTrader 8 OLD" folder to "NinjaTrader 8." Then restart the platform. Simply put: NinjaTrader 8 will always load the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents.

Are you able to reproduce the behavior in a clean environment?​

If so, please send me a short demonstration video showing the behavior you are reporting so that I may see what you are seeing and the steps you are taking to reproduce the behavior.

You could use the free TinyTake software linked below for creating demonstration videos.

TinyTake: https://tinytake.com/tinytake-download
          Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That worked! I created a virtual machine and installed the same version of NT8. I loaded a minimum number of custom indicators and strategies and everything is working fine. I'll slowly add my custom scripts but I can speculate which 3rd party add on is causing the issue. I use it for trading so I won't get rid of it. I'll let this thread go dormant for a while since this gets me up and running. I'll revisit it if I get an error in the future. Thanks Brandon.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SentientDavid, Today, 01:34 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post SentientDavid  
            Started by MrForgetful, Today, 01:28 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post MrForgetful