Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Data box shows different value than strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data box shows different value than strategy

I have RSI and EMA of RSI (with RSI as input series). On the databox it shows the correct values for the EMA and RSI, however when I add the code to the strategy and get values, the EMA shows a different value. Thanks!!

Perhaps one of them is rounding the value, and the other is not?

Any chance you could throw us a bone and give an example of
    of the values you're talking about?

Comment

It is not just rounding. The values are very different. On the chart, I add RSI of 12 smoothing 3, and then add EMA 43 with the Input series of RSI (12,3).

In the strategy my code is code -
      RSI1 = RSI(Close, Convert.ToInt32(12), 3);
      EMA1 = EMA(RSI1, 43);

On the chart (Data box) the values
      RSI - 63.44
      EMA of RSI - 53.69

and on the Strategy debug mode the
      RSI - 56.9177110180709---
      EMA of RSI - 49.7395368011012​

Comment

Hello Graci117,

Thanks for your post.

When you mention "and on the Strategy debug mode" are you referring to adding Prints to your script that print out the values to a New > NinjaScript Output window?

I have created a simple indicator that plots the RSI and EMA values you shared and prints them to a NinjaScript Output window. When comparing the values from the test script to the RSI and EMA indicators that come default with NinjaTrader using the same exact properties as the code, I am seeing values that match in the chart, Data Box, and NinjaScript Output window.

See the attached screenshot.

Also, see the attached script used to test this.​
        Attached Files
        Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you! That's exactly what I am doing - using the print statements and comparing it with the databox. I don't see the script here. Could you please post the script as well and the screenshot of the indicator parameters on GraciTest??

Comment

Hello Graci117,

Thanks for your notes.

You could find the test script attached in post # 4. Attached you'll find the images for the RSI and EMA indicator parameters I used for comparison.

I have also attached the script to this post.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
              Hello Graci117,

Thanks for your notes.

You could find the test script attached in post # 4. Attached you'll find the images for the RSI and EMA indicator parameters I used for comparison.

I have also attached the script to this post.
              Thanks! I don't see the script attached to post#4 or this post. The only attached file is the screenshot in both cases.

Comment

Hello Graci117,

Thanks for your note.

It seems the Forums hid the scripts from view. I have made them visible again so that you could view them.

Attached to this post I have also added a screenshot of the test indicator's code.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
                  Hello Graci117,

Thanks for your note.

It seems the Forums hid the scripts from view. I have made them visible again so that you could view them.

Attached to this post I have also added a screenshot of the test indicator's code.
                  Unfortunately, the script is still not available. I tried to create the indicator and for some reason when I try to add the indicator I get this error on the output window -

Indicator 'RSIMA': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar 10: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart.

And on the strategy code I get this error =

Strategy 'FILevelsOMARSI/-1': An order placed at '06/01/2023 09:41:00' has been ignored since the order was submitted before the strategy property BarsRequiredToTrade had been met.

Comment

Originally posted by Graci117 View Post

Unfortunately, the script is still not available. I tried to create the indicator and for some reason when I try to add the indicator I get this error on the output window -

Indicator 'RSIMA': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar 10: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart.

And on the strategy code I get this error =

Strategy 'FILevelsOMARSI/-1': An order placed at '06/01/2023 09:41:00' has been ignored since the order was submitted before the strategy property BarsRequiredToTrade had been met.
                    Can you please help??

Comment

Hello Graci117.

Thanks for your note.

Please see the test script attached on post # 6 as seen in the attached screenshot.

The error message "You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since it is out-of-range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart." means that you are trying to access an invalid index. A more simple example using one series would be on bar 5 you check for 6 BarsAgo. There are not yet 6 bars so the CurrentBar minus 6 would be a negative number or a non-existent bar.

A CurrentBar check could be used in your indicator's logic to ensure that a certain number of bars have processed before the indicator begins calculation. A CurrentBar check would look something like this.

Code:
                      if (CurrentBar < 10)
                          return;
                      This would check to make sure that 10 bars have processed before the indicator begins it's calculations.

See the help guide documentation below for more information.
                      CurrentBar - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...currentbar.htm
                      CurrentBars - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...urrentbars.htm
                      Make sure you have enough bars - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...nough_bars.htm

The second "error" is simply a warning message letting you know that the strategy tried to place a trade before the BarsRequiredToTrade property was met. The BarsRequiredToTrade property is set to 20 by default and means that there must be at least 20 bars on the chart before a trade is placed.

You could consider setting this property to 0 in the Properties section of the Strategies window when enabling your strategy.

See this help guide about the BarsRequiredToTrade property: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...totrade​
                      Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by AaronKoRn, Today, 09:49 PM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post AaronKoRn  
                      Started by carnitron, Today, 08:42 PM