Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Running the same strategy on multiple charts - are signal names unique to each chart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running the same strategy on multiple charts - are signal names unique to each chart?

For example running a strategy on chart 1 that has this instruction EnterLong("long1");​ . If I run it on 3 different charts whether it's different timeframes for the same instrument or even different instruments. Will the system contain the signals for each strategy and keep them specific to each chart?

Or if I fire a signal ExitLong("Long1"); or even just ExitLong() running the same strategy on a different chart would that interact with the signals from chart 1 and close the orders on chart 1?

Just wondering if I need to parametrize the signal names to be able to run the same strategy on different charts.

Not only do they not have to be unique across multiple charts, but the signal names are not shared even between two strategies on the same chart. You can set them all the same if you want to - but setting them differently lets you do some things you can't do otherwise, like match up exits with a specific entry order (from the same strategy instance).
    Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Many thanks Bruce. So if Strategy A and strategy B are both running on a 5 minute ES chart, and strategy A opens a long order with Entry signal "Signal 1", then a directive to ExitLongStopMarket from Signal 1 issued by strategy B would be ignored. Is my understanding correct?

Mark

Comment

Yes, each strategy has its trade list and can only see its orders unless you have done something unusual.
        Bruce DeVault
        QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello markdshark,

Thanks for your post.

QuantKey_Bruce is correct. Signal Names in a strategy do not have to be unique across multiple chart windows. A custom NinjaScript strategy is only able to see the orders placed by that specific instance of the strategy.

This means that if Strategy A submits and order with the Signal Name 'MyEntry' and an ExitLongStopMarket() order with the Signal Name "MyExit", then Strategy B would not see those orders. Only Strategy A would see those orders.

See the help guide documentation below for more information.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
          Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Vietanhnguyen2hotmailcom, Yesterday, 10:29 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Vietanhnguyen2hotmailcom  
          Started by PhillT, 04-19-2024, 02:16 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes