Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Stop Order Being Ignored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Order Being Ignored

Hey there, I currently have a strategy with a set limit stop loss and sometimes when the next bars are below the stop loss order (which shouldn't happen in real time and most likely the stop would get triggered in the same bar). I understand how the back test works with the OHLC and basically "creates" the bars on the fly. So I am wondering if there is a way to set the stop loss to re activate or just take a stop market order. When the stop loss order gets canceled and then closes on the session end it is really messing up my statistics when I run a back test.
    I will attach two pictures on of a .77 stop loss getting rejected and never coming back and one of a .78 stop loss getting triggered and closing the trade. I am using a minute bar chart and using the ninja trader strategy builder. I will also attach a picture of my Stop Loss Code.

This is the error in the logs for the rejected order:
    Strategy 'PivotWithBEStop1062023/-1': An order has been ignored since the stop price ‘55.74’ near the bar stamped ‘10/13/2022 11:18:00 AM’ is invalid based on the price range of the bar. This is an invalid order and subsequent orders may also be ignored.

Thank you for your help.
    p.s. I understand why the order can't exist (because you cant set a stop above the current market price) and gets canceled but there has to be a way to solve this for the back test results.

Hi noshowstock,

I think you have wrong settings in the ExitLongStopLimit() order.
    Look again at your "stop" and "limit" parameters. They should have a distance.
    Plus, Market was below those values, so you could not get a fill in the 2nd photo.
    Last edited by KonstantinosNT; 01-19-2023, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Hello noshowstock,

As KonstantinosNT mentioned it looks like the orders you have are using a price in a strange way, if your variable is specifically an amount of offset in price then what you have should work. You are subtracting a fixed amount from the average price. If you meant to offset by an amount of ticks or some other calculation you would need to take a look at those orders prices again.

When submitting orders from the sets like this there is not necessarily a way to avoid that besides making sure the price used is offset enough to avoid being invalid or on the wrong side of the market on a new bar.

You can use the OnOrderTrace override to see the trace order output in your script so you could potentially read that information and then have the script resubmit the order in the future if it sees that warning. That would still end up allowing that order to expire and leave the position unprotected. If your strategy does nothing after the original order expired and you observe that warning using OnOrderTrace you could use that to submit a new order after that point.
      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by KonstantinosNT View Post
        Hi noshowstock,

I think you have wrong settings in the ExitLongStopLimit() order.
        Look again at your "stop" and "limit" parameters. They should have a distance.
        Plus, Market was below those values, so you could not get a fill in the 2nd photo.
        I tried all three order types but no matter how I have it set my order gets canceled because the back test thinks the order is above the "current market" price, but in reality price does not jump like that minute to minute the price flows up and down. So I WOULD ASSUME in real time it would place the stop and it would organically get hit and stop me out.

It is just messing up my back test results when it shouldn't be. I wish there was a way to re send the stop order if you still have an open position with no stop loss.

Comment

I fixed the issue - I basically told the script to check if I am in an open position, if I am in an open position and the close of the current bar is lower that what my my stop loss would be then just slam a exit long market order in there and close the position. It is clunky but it is working for my back test to yield better results.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post llanqui
          by llanqui

Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes