Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

SetStopLoss / SetProfitTarget names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SetStopLoss / SetProfitTarget names

Hello,

I am testing a system with various SetStopLoss / SetProfitTarget variations and I would like to differentiate one from another with custom names. How do I set names for SetStopLoss / SetProfitTarget orders like I can do for ExitLong/ExitShort?

Or, if it's not possible, suggest me a workaround to get those custom names appearing in "Exit name" column.

Thank you

Hello UltraNIX,

Thank you for your post.

You can't give those custom names, unfortunately. The signal names generated internally by the SetStopLoss and SetProfitTarget methods are "Stop loss" and "Profit target" which can be used with various methods such as BarsSinceExitExecution(), or other order concepts which rely on identifying a signal name, however, these cannot be modified. You would need to use Exit orders instead to have custom names.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
      Hello UltraNIX,

Thank you for your post.

You can't give those custom names, unfortunately. The signal names generated internally by the SetStopLoss and SetProfitTarget methods are "Stop loss" and "Profit target" which can be used with various methods such as BarsSinceExitExecution(), or other order concepts which rely on identifying a signal name, however, these cannot be modified. You would need to use Exit orders instead to have custom names.

I wonder why is that? Why exit orders can have custom names and stop loss/profit target orders don't?

After your explanation, please, submit a feature request, because for me it's illogical and unthinkable why it is as it is.

Comment

Hello UltraNIX,

Thank you for your reply.

The Set methods are intended as a very simple way to create profit targets and stop losses. As such, to keep them simple the ability to give them custom signal names is not included. If you wish to give custom names to your stops and targets, Exit orders may be used in lieu of SetStopLoss and SetProfitTarget - just be sure not to mix Set and Exit methods for the same position.

That being said I have added a vote for you to an existing feature request for this functionality. This request is being tracked under the number SFT-2804.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
          Hello UltraNIX,

(...) just be sure not to mix Set and Exit methods for the same position. (...)
          That is a good suggestion. And since I run most of my entry calculations from 1 tick series, I suppose, I could have a workaround to use exit method instead of SetStopLoss / SetProfitTarget and have custom names, and could expect that fill would occur hopefully at the same or very similar price using ExitLong/ExitShort instead of SetStopLoss / SetProfitTarget, while running from 1 tick data series, correct?

Comment

Hello UltraNIX,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I would expect very similar if not exactly the same results using exit methods as using set methods.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by manueldecastro, Yesterday, 10:26 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
            Started by memonic, 05-01-2024, 01:23 PM
            5 responses
            0 likes