Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Openrange indicator not showing in Strat Builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Openrange indicator not showing in Strat Builder

Dear traders,

I just downloaded this indicator for NT8 : https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...nge-indicator/

But it does not appear when I am looking for an indicator in Strategy Builder.

Someone have an idea on how I could make it appear ?

Regards
    Jeremy

Hello bet365,

Thanks for your post.

This indicator does not add ant plots, so it will not be listed in the Strategy Builder.

Indicators can be used in the Strategy Builder when values are presented in plots, which this indicator does not do.

The Opening Range indicator below does add plots if you would like to use that indicator.

This is a conversion of the Opening Range 4 indicator developed and originally coded for the NinjaTrader 7 platform by sh_daggett. 8/26/2021: Added NinjaScriptProperty attribute to public properties so they can be used in Strategy Builder. Please contact the original author for any questions or comments.

The link above is publicly available.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Otherwise, you could ask the developer of your indicator if they can add plots and expose the opening range values with plots, or you could add the plots to the indicator and expose the values in a modified version of the indicator. Documentation on how to add plots and assign values to plots can be found below.

AddPlot - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...8/?addplot.htm

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jim,
      Thank you I will try it !

Comment

Okay indicator appears in the builder.

I can't set end of the session range (see below) .. Do you have an idea to fix it ? Maybe using NScript Editor ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2021-08-26_105406.png
Views:	144
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1169138

Comment

I tried with this indicator.

I can configure well on the strategy builder.
          But on strategy analyzer it is terribly slow...

Comment

Hello bet365,

The URL provided is to a sample strategy instead of an indicator. Is this intended?

I had noticed that BzvOpeningRange4 was missing some attributes on some properties so they could not be accessed with the Strategy Builder. I submitted some changes to be added to the User App Share and these changes are live. You can redownload the indicator and use that version to adjust the other properties in the Strategy Builder.

I used a debug print in the Strategy Builder's actions so I could see the plot values to get an idea on how to use the indicator, and I recommend doing the same on your end.

You may see that the plot will be the opening range high/low or 0. Therefore, if you need to keep the value when the plot is 0, you could set a variable to the plot value if the plot value does not have a numeric value of 0.

I am not sure where your slowdown is originating for the Strategy Analyzer. Excessive use of drawing objects, removing drawing objects, backtesting large amounts of data and backtesting very granular data (tick based bars vs. minute bars) can carry performance impact when backtesting. Optimizations are also inherently resource demanding. I may suggest ruling these out, and pas that, to make a copy of the strategy and test what specific components are contributing to the slowness. In some cases the slowness can be expected and necessary, but it always helps to understand where the behavior originates.

Comment

Jim

It works pretty well thank you !
              I put a wrong link, but this is not a problem anymore.

Just a last question.
              I want to put an long entry order when price greater or equal my highest point of range. Do I have to choose current ask or bid price ?

Jeremy

Comment

Hello Jeremy,

That would be a matter of preference. You could use the current bid/ask to check when price is above, but the last traded price would be Close[0]. Of course, the strategy will need to run OnPriceChange to detect when Close[0] is above the desired price intrabar, and we should also note that Calculate.OnPriceChange allows intrabar updates with realtime data only.

(You can use Calculate.OnPriceChange with historical processing when Tick Replay is used, but this would not allow orders to fill with intrabar movement when backtesting. Filling orders intrabar and calculating logic intrabar would require Tick Replay AND submitting orders to a single tick data series, which requires unlocking the code and is a more complicated approach.)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by geddyisodin, 04-25-2024, 05:20 AM
                8 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                Started by halgo_boulder, 04-20-2024, 08:44 AM
                2 responses
                0 likes