Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Copyright/patent protecting newly developped strategies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copyright/patent protecting newly developped strategies?

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is common practice (legally possible) to copyright/patent ones developed strategies?

I'm not looking for legal advice (I'll contact a intellectual property (IP) lawyer for that of course) I'm simply wanting to know if it is common practice within this environment, or if the veterans here know and have learned otherwise?

Thanks!
    Lo

I've never heard of anyone doing this, but I can't imagine that's a thing. Strategies aren't like products, and if someone makes a strategy that happens to be similar to yours, its not like there is anyone enforcement body to stop them from doing so.
    Are you thinking about selling a strategy you developed? If so, I know a lot of people go to great lengths to hide their code for that reason. I don't think there's anything they could do if it did get out.

Comment

Hello traderzoso,

Thank you for your post.

I see you reached out to us by email as well and I will speak with you there as well. Please look for my email from info[at]ninjatraderecosystem[dot]com.

We would not have any specific details on such endeavors from developers or vendors of such products.

Comment

If you have your own lawyer, why are you asking that question again here? I handle all such matters privately in consultation with https://www.vasaadvokat.se/neka-medlemskap-i-forening/. I recently had an unpleasant situation where not only was I not allowed to protect the copyright of my project, but I was also denied membership. I was outraged. I wondered if anyone else had encountered this, so I posted my story on various forums. On one of them, I was recommended to this lawyer, who later helped me win my case.
        Last edited by vanefras; 10-06-2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Hi. It's prudent to seek guidance from a seasoned gay divorce attorney to understand the legal aspects of copyrighting/patenting strategies. Their expertise can clarify your path.

Comment

In general a process (unless a chemical process I believe) cannot be patented. You might be able to create an indicator and patent that.
            However... if your strategy is awesome... just keep it quiet and make money from it. Don't patent it. Just don't show it to anybody!!!

Comment

Hello! I recommend consulting a lawyer for your question about the common practice and legality of copyrighting/patenting developed strategies. It's better to seek professional advice than just asking around. Many lawyers offer free consultations, so discussing your intellectual property concerns with them would be more beneficial.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by WHICKED, 06-27-2023, 12:07 PM
              66 responses
              1 like
              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
              Started by tkaboris, 06-11-2024, 08:06 AM
              11 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post tkaboris