"Chart Drawing Object Templates" not converted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Chart Drawing Object Templates" not converted

Although the ninjatrader migration guide claims that "Chart Drawing Object Templates" will be converted automatically, none of the many examples in my own work have yet been converted successfully. So far I have had no trouble with instrument lists, ATM templates, Account Connections, and historical data to name a few success stories.

I am wondering if anyone else has anything to add about the general topic of getting "Chart Drawing Object Templates" to convert successfully from NT7 to NT8. I have not been able to locate even a single post which discusses a similar topic. Can anyone offer any hints?

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

Could you please provide some further details regarding the Drawing Object Template you created so I may attempt to recreate it and test the migration process on my end?
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

To add to this, The folllowing are not updated when reinstalling and importing a backup file. I may have already reported some of these.
      1) Dom account settings on multiple doms
      2) ATM Strategy setting on Multiple doms
      3) Color Scheme ( skin )
      4) Trade Confirmation
      5) Market data merge setting
      6) drawline template - default setting
      7) drawText template - default setting
      8) draw arrow template - default setting

The last three are impediments to using Draw objects with IsGlobal as the templates are not saved and restored after reinstalling and importing backups.

Comment

Thank you to Ninjatrader_DrewO and also to JerryWar for your replies.

For Ninjatrader_DrewO, I have attached a zip archive which contains a 7zip archive of my NT7 templates folder in order to meet the maximum upload size requirement of the manage attachments wizard used here on this forum. I think that the only relevant subfolder is called "ChartObjects" but I have included the others for completeness. The files were created in 2011.

Update: I have added a second attachment which contains the NT7 file called "UI.xml" in order to include custom drawing templates which were given unique names and therefore not saved as "default".
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kh_model; 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I am still running the November 2016 version of NT8, which I think was the initial release. NT7 has been upgraded to the current version. All migrations were performed on Windows 7 Professional, sp1. Here are some screenshots of the NT8 conversion process.

I am wondering if it is normal behavior for the various conversion messages to never refer to "templates", or the old NT7 term "ChartObject", or what I think is the new NT8 term "DrawingTool" even when "Chart Drawing Object Templates" are present in the NT7 folder, and supposedly eligible for conversion?

I also noticed that my templates refer to old or unusual symbols such as TF and ^DJIA, and the last seen date is 1800-01-01T00:00:00

At first, I was unable to locate in NT7 any file which stores custom drawing object templates, as I only found in "templates/ChartObject" the various files such as "FibonacciExtensions.xml" which seem to represent my overwrites for the default settings which I saved long ago. See below for how I finally found my custom template definitions hidden away within the file called "UI.xml" by carefully examining a copy of my Windows 7 installation of NT7 which was pasted over to another machine that still runs WindowsXP.

I have attached an additional screenshot which demonstrates how NT7 functionality is currently working. Perhaps I have now forgotten how to make a drawing template, but I am struck by the lack of an option to create a new template from within the menu in NT7. Has something changed that I am not aware of?

After a google search, I discovered instructions for how to make a drawing template in NT7 within the following thread:

So, it only takes a Right Click from inside the drawing properties menu in NT7 to access "manage templates", and from there one simply replaces "Default" with a unique name in order to save a template.

I later discovered that NT7 stores the non-default output from "manage templates" within the UI.xml file as shown in the fourth screenshot attached below. Without the puppy search feature in windowsXP, perhaps I never would have figured out where all those custom templates were being stored. It is hard to imagine migrating without them.

Now, if someone can solve the mystery of why drawing templates seem to not convert from NT7 to NT8, we can all turn our valuable time and attention to far more pressing matters such as indicator, strategy, and workspace conversion...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kh_model; 01-05-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I will be testing this on my end and will follow up with further information as it becomes available.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this.

We found that under "What Will Be Migrated" on the Migration Guide website, "Chart Drawing Object Templates" was listed. However, also under "What Will Not Be Migrated" we had "Default Templates for... Drawing Objects..." listed.

Chart Drawing Object Templates will not be migrated and this has been updated on the NinjaTrader website. However, I have submitted to development a request include this is the migration process.

I have provided a link to the newly updated Migration Guide website:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by nandhumca, Yesterday, 03:41 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by The_Sec, Yesterday, 03:37 PM
              1 response
              0 likes