Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Historical Data and Cache: how much do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical Data and Cache: how much do I need?

Will clearing my cache and historical data speed up how fast my NT8 desktop loads?

I see futures contracts from a few years ago in my historical database. Are they there because I have set my charts to load 720 days back for example? Can I delete data that is not of the current futures contracts or will they just reload next time I start up because I have my chart setup to load farther back than the current contract?

The goal here is to stop semi-regular screen freezes and faster loading on start up.

Regards,
    GB

Hello,

Clearing your cache and historical data can indeed help improve the speed at which your NinjaTrader 8 (NT8) desktop application loads, as well as potentially alleviate semi-regular screen freezes. The presence of futures contracts from a few years ago in your historical database is likely due to your chart settings, such as setting them to load 720 days back. This setting causes NT8 to store a significant amount of data to ensure it can quickly access these historical points when you open your charts.
    1. Clearing Cache and Historical Data: Doing this can reduce the amount of data NT8 needs to process upon startup, which may speed up the loading time. However, if your charts are set to load extensive historical data (like 720 days), NT8 may re-download this data from your data provider upon accessing those charts again, depending on how the historical data management is configured.
    2. Deleting Non-Current Futures Contracts Data: You can delete data that is not of the current futures contracts through the Historical Data Manager within NT8. This action could potentially reduce the amount of data loaded and thus improve performance. However, if your chart settings require historical data beyond the current contracts, NT8 will attempt to re-download this data upon accessing those charts again, subject to your data provider's limitations and the specific data subscription you have.
    3. Preventing Data Reload: If you want to avoid unnecessary reloading of extensive historical data, consider adjusting your chart settings to reduce the number of days back that NT8 loads by default. This adjustment can help manage the volume of data being processed and stored.
    4. Improving Performance: To further improve NT8's performance and reduce screen freezes, consider:
      • Optimizing Chart Settings: Limit the amount of historical data loaded by default on your charts.
      • Reducing the Number of Workspaces and Charts Open Simultaneously: More open items require more resources.
      • Monitoring Real-time Data Flow: Use the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor to identify if any custom scripts or indicators are consuming excessive resources.
    Steps to Clear Cache and Historical Data:
    1. Back Up Your Important Data: Before clearing any data, ensure you have backups of your critical configurations, scripts, and any other important data.
    2. Clear Cache:
      • Navigate to the Options menu within the NT8 Control Center.
      • Look for a cache clearing option (this might involve clearing temporary files or similar options).
    3. Clear Historical Data:
      • Go to the NT8 Control Center, select Tools, and then Historical Data.
      • Here, you can manage and delete unnecessary historical data.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Excellent, thank you for the detailed response!

Comment

Where can I find this "Ninjascript Utilization Monitor"?

Is there a way yet to delete multiple historical data instruments/contracts simultaneously. As you must realize doing this 1 item at a time is not very convenient.

Comment

Hello,

The utilization monitor can be found by going to New>Ninjascript Output window and right clicking the window that opens.

If deleting historical data you may be able to more quickly delete this files under your documents folder within the DB folder. This is located under Documents/NinjaTrader 8/DB and is broken down into folder by data types.
          Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Bidder
          by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
          4 responses