Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja crashes when opening workspace after setting up new Connection

Hello,

I set up a new connection and re-started the platform. The new connection works fine (it successfully connects), but when I try to open my normal workspace, Ninja crashes every time. Any ideas?

Hello 12VMan​,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please try testing your platform in Safe Mode to verify if this behavior is being caused by custom scripts using the steps below.

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
    • Loading workspaces and connecting on start-up.
    • Loading custom assemblies (i.e. 3rd-party add-ons and NinjaScripts)
    • Getting instrument updates from the server

To enable Safe Mode, please use the following steps:
    • Shut down NinjaTrader.
    • Hold the CTRL key and double-click the NinjaTrader icon.
    • Keep holding the CTRL key until you see the Control Center.
    • You may then verify you are in Safe Mode by going to Help -> About.

Alternatively, To enable Safe Mode, you can also use the following steps:
    • Shut down NinjaTrader.
    • Click on the Windows Start Button
    • Search for and Launch NinjaTrader (Safe Mode)

Once you have opened the platform in Safe Mode:
    • Reconnect to your Data Provider
    • Please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issues.
    • *If it crashes here please let me know

Does the behavior persist on this blank Workspace in Safe Mode?
    • If not, please try opening your previous workspace by going to the Control Center > Workspaces drop-down. It may already show as being open. Hit 'close' and do not save and then re-open it again for your windows to re-appear. You will notice that no 3rd-party add-ons are running in Safe Mode.

Does the behavior return on your regular Workspace in Safe Mode?
    • If not, restart NinjaTrader, and test for the behavior on your Workspace normally once more with your 3rd-party add-ons available. If this reintroduces issues, I suggest rebuilding your workspace, adding 1 add-on at a time.
    • Please keep track of what add-ons you add back in to identify the cause of the behavior if it returns.

If it does not return, it indicates the error was isolated only to your other Workspace. I also suggest making a backup of your workspace so we can restore a working version of it if the issue returns. You will want to keep this backup file on an external hard drive or uploaded to a cloud drive such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive.

To create a backup, go to the Control Center > Tools > Export > Backup File. Additional information about backups may be read in our Help Guide linked below.

Please let me know the results of this test. I look forward to your response.​
    Erick P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Erick,

I seem to have fixed it, but it makes no sense. On Monday, I removed an indicator. I've restarted Ninja multiple times with no issue since then. Today, I added a new connection. After restarting is when the crashes started happening. I just re-added the indicator (which, btw, is not being used in the workspace), everything is working again. Bizzare.

On a separate note, I backup nearly every day. After the crashes started, I tried importing a backup file (tried several) and kept getting the attached error message. Any ideas?​
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello 12VMan​,

Thank you for your post.

In your case, I believe that the issue lies with the custom NinjaScript files saved in the back up.

What happens if you complete the same Export -> Backup procedure ,but this time, Do not check the NinjaScipt files.

Export the back up, and then try importing it again to test for the error.

If you are able to import it successfully, then this means that your custom NinjaScript files are not in compatible state.

Please let us know the results of this or if you have any other questions.​

Comment

NinjaScript files was not checked when I did Export / Backup?

Comment

Hello 12VMan ​,

Thank you for letting know.

In that case, can you please try Exporting a Back up, without the Database file?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	45
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1291230

We have been seeing some issues with the Database when it comes to Backups.

This occurs if platform versions no longer coincide with the type of database file in the backup.

Create a back up without the Database instead, and then try to import to see if you get the same error.

Please let me know the results of this test. I look forward to your response.

Comment

I get the attached error
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello 12VMan​,

Thank you for your message.

When you get the "Access to the path... is denied" error, it indicates that something is blocking NinjaTrader from accessing its own files.

A first step to try, would be to restart your PC, as to end any active process that may be using your NT8 files, then re-launch NT8.

Usually this has to do with any back up software (exOneDrive) or the security settings for directory where NT8 files are.

If after restarting your PC you still get that error message I have outlined a few different troubleshooting steps below to combat this error.

Windows Firewall/Anti-Virus

First, please check for any virus protection, firewall, and backup software you may be running, and add exceptions for NinjaTrader so that they do not interfere with NinjaTrader's operation.

Disable Controlled Folder Access

Next, press the "Windows Key" on your keyboard > Search for "Controlled Folder Access" > Click on "Controlled Folder Access" > Turn "Controlled Folder Access" off if it is enabled
                • This can be restricted by administrator settings. If you are unable to access this setting, please contact your network/PC administrator.
                • Additional information on Controlled Folder Access may be read at this publicly-available link from Microsoft's website: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-security

"Hidden" and "Read-only" Folder Settings

Next, try to adjust the read/write protection for NinjaTrader 8's documents folder:
                • Go to your Computer\Documents folder > right-click on the NinjaTrader 8 folder > select "Properties".
                • From the Folder properties, ensure that the Attributes have both "Read-only" and "Hidden" unchecked.
                • When prompted to Confirm Attribute Changes, please make sure to select "apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files" and press OK.
                • Re-open the platform to see if the error persists

Uninstall/Reinstall NinjaTrader 8

Please follow the steps listed below to complete a quick uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader. These directions will keep you from losing any of your information.
                • Close all running applications.
                • Do not do anything to the Documents/NinjaTrader folder
                • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
                • Navigate to "C:\ > Program Files (x86)" > or "C:\ > Program Files" Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
                • Reboot your PC.
                • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 using the steps below:
                  • Login into the NinjaTrader Account Dashboard
                  • Please create a login ("account") by creating an Username and Password and verifying your email address.
                  • Click "Download" in the bottom left-hand corner of the sidebar
                  • Next select "Download" in the "Most Recent Release" Window in the main screen
                  • Once the installation had downloaded, ensure any previous version of NinjaTrader is closed before running the installation package

Before restarting NinjaTrader, be sure all available updates are installed to your PC from the Windows Settings > Update and Security page.

Be sure to manually check for updates here, and reboot after any updates are installed.

Please let me know if these solutions work for you, and feel free to ask any questions you may have as you work.​

Comment

Hello Erick - my antivirus software handles exception via file pathways. What file pathway should I make an exception for in this case?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post lightsun47  
                  Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post 00nevest