Memory not unloading after aborting strategy analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory not unloading after aborting strategy analyzer

After aborting a Strategy analyzer run on NT 8.1.2.1, NT8 is still consuming 29gb+ of memory with nothing going on. I have a couple strategies on the list but not enabled, no active data connections, no additional workspaces open, a single empty chart, and a NinjaScript Editor window open.
    Attached Files

Update: it caused a BSOD and I had to reinstall NT8.

Comment

This happens when ram is "depleted". Buy more ram and choose the right amount of backtest data and iterations so optimization stops right before max ram. Then close NT8 to clear memory and restart for the next optimization.

Comment

64gb is all the laptop can handle. The background programs I have running occupy 5gb or less. This was the first optimization since starting NT8.
        One would think it could offload results to the hard drive rather than retaining them in RAM where it could overload.

Comment

It's a known issue with the analyzer. 64GB is enough. NT can utilize all the available RAM, so buying more RAM won't help. Personally I restart NT when it consumes 80-90% of RAM. It's the best workaround. There have been feature request to enable calling the garbage collector within the strategy. Maybe our children will see its implementation
          Last edited by Leeroy_Jenkins; 01-28-2024, 08:57 AM.

Comment

This was the only operation since starting ninjatrader.

Comment

Hello Conzeptzx,

Thank you for your post.

Aborting the backtest can take a significant amount of time, and it often takes longer for the garbage collection to start freeing up the memory.

As Leeroy_Jenkins mentioned, if your computer's memory runs out and it starts paging it will take a very long time for all operations to finish and for enough memory to marked for garbage collection that the system stops paging, before the garbage collection can work at normal speed.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. ​
              Gaby V.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Leeroy_Jenkins View Post
                It's a known issue with the analyzer. 64GB is enough. NT can utilize all the available RAM, so buying more RAM won't help. Personally I restart NT when it consumes 80-90% of RAM. It's the best workaround. There have been feature request to enable calling the garbage collector within the strategy. Maybe our children will see its implementation
                "NT can utilize all the available RAM, so buying more RAM won't help." This is so true that many of us are wasting time running optimizations and ending with crashes or BSODs. Why on earth is NT eating all your ram without any restriction until it crashes your pc? One solution would be to use the 32bit version. But no, the 32bit is no longer supplied. Isn't it fantastic? What a painful journey this has been.

Comment

Buying more RAM helps! You can backtest longer/more before crashing. I even know people renting machines with 1000gb ram. Not all strategies built up ram quickly though. It really is a bottleneck.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Massinisa  
                  Started by Creamers, Today, 05:32 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Creamers