Restarting playback takes too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restarting playback takes too long

I have a couple strategies I'm testing on playback, when I rewind to the beginning, it's taking a long time (going on 10 minutes now) to reset to the beginning. If I restart the connection, it removes all the configured strategies and I have to reload them. Any suggestions how to help this process?

Can I suggest a xml template for configured strategies that doesn't just delete or reset when the connection resets?
    Last edited by Conceptzx; 01-19-2024, 03:22 PM.

Hello Conceptzx,

The time that the playback takes to restart is highly dependant on how much data needs to be reset and how much historical data is being loaded. If you are using a large lookback for historical data or also using tick based bars that could increase the time it takes to revert to the previous time. If you can provide more specific details on what has been configured in the test that may help to know if that would be expected or not. There is not a way to save a template of strategies for the purpose of the playback connection, that connection is intended to reset once you disconnect and reconnect so it is a fresh environment.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just 2 weeks worth of data on 1 asset. It's been loading for 30+ minutes now and still not finished. It's faster to restart the playback connection and reconfigure everything manually.

Comment

Hello Conceptzx,

That may be due to a problem with the data or something which your strategy is doing. As a first step I would suggest trying to remove the strategy from the equation and try resetting the date without it applied. If it still takes a long time I would suggest making sure that you are using the current release of the platform which is 8.1.2.1 as of right now and also delete and redownload the playback data. I would still need more specific details such as how far back of historical data you are loading and what bars type is being used.

Comment

Yes, I'm using 8.1.2.1

I'll try it. Could this be a feature request? Disable strategies when rewinding playback? Or at least an option?

Comment

Hello Conceptzx,

That already happens when you rewind the playback, the strategy is disabled and restarted. What I was suggesting is completely remove the strategy and do not apply it at all while testing to confirm if this relates to something the strategy is doing like calculating or if this relates to the playback itself.

Comment

Hello Conceptzx,

Occasionally this happens to myself as well. I recommend closing NT and restarting it. I will even disable automatic connection on data providers at times so that the first connection my freshly restarted NT experiences is the Playback connection. I find this to usually load much faster.

Also keeping your open charts / tabs to a minimum is a good idea as well.

Comment

I made a workspace for playback one chart, one ninjascript editor, and a list of strategies. Nothing else. It's retaining them now. Not sure why it didn't before.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post llanqui
                by llanqui

Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes