Resetting DB removes Strategies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resetting DB removes Strategies?

Arg! Why does Resetting the Database remove Strategies - without warning?

At the moment, I am running NT without a connection. I also have a complex Workspace set up. As part of weekend maintenance, I like to remove unneeded trace and log files. When I go Tools -> Database Management -> Reset DB, it states:

This will remove historical trade data from the dat6abase. It will not remove chart data: Historical Orders; Historical executions.

Executing this option also -- without notice -- removed all of the strategies in my workspace. Since I have a complex workspace set up, removing these strategies represents a couple of hours of lost work. Furthermore, at no place is a notice or warning provided that strategies will be removed as a consequence of this function.

I love 90% of NT, but this is part of the 10% I hate. It gives the impression you guys don't use your own product. When you remove strategies without notice, which can take a few hours to set up, there's a problem.

Thanks,

Hello timmbbo,

The warning that pops up after clicking the Reset button informs strategies will be removed.

I suggest to save templates for your strategies once added back. In the strategy settings menu, please click template-->save in the lower right corner. Name the template as you like and click OK. That way you can quickly add the strategy with the desired settings by clicking template-->load in the strategy settings menu.
    Attached Files
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason, thanks. You're right - to a point. I didn't consider the strategies "associated" (How does one tell if a strategy is associated or not?). That word "associated" leaves room for interpretation, which I obviously judged differently than you.

Furthermore, not only does this option remove all strategies, it also apparently prevents the workspaces containing those strategies from being restored. That is, while I had a good number of workspace backups available. this option prevented the strategies saved within those backup workspaces from being restored as well. This notion is hardly communicated within the current warning message.

I suggest changing the warning message to emphasize that this option will remove ALL STRATEGIES PERMANENTLY will add the desired clarity.

Comment

I have forwarded your suggestion to update the warning message. Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

The internal tracking number for the feature request is SFT-6183. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting us if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Jonafare, 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post rene69851  
          Started by Fitspressorest, Today, 01:38 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes