FXCM - Frequent Disconnects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FXCM - Frequent Disconnects

This has been an ongoing issue over the last several months with random disconnects from FXCM. I have recently learned, and has been confirmed internally, that Ninjatrader's own historical price server also disconnects from FXCM at the same time as me. This is evident in the missing bars when loading a new chart that Ninjatrader eventually backfills once they reconnect to FXCM.

I know FXCM isn't available to US members, only UK and Euro users and maybe there just isn't a big enough amount of us, but there must be other FXCM users out there being effected by this?

Most recent disconnect - 12:56 GMT today.

Hello pmn10,

Thank you for the message.

Please remember that a connection state between NinjaTrader and your broker/market data vendor is not dictated by NinjaTrader.
    • The NinjaTrader application only reports the connection state as it is reported by the API you are connected through.
    • NinjaTrader behaves like a radio receiver in that it receives signals from the connected server. If the signals are not coming through, the underlying broker/market data vendor API reports this to the NinjaTrader application which in turn reports this back to you. Once a loss of connection is reported, NinjaTrader or the underlying API will continuously try to re-establish a connection.
    NinjaTrader has no direct control over your connection with FXCM. If the credentials are entered correctly, it is up to the servers to establish and maintain the connection.

If the connection keeps being lost, you could reach out to FXCM directly and ask them if they know why this is happening and what needs to be done to avoid it moving forward.

If they say their servers are stable and the connection should be working, then you could troubleshoot your local PC and Network to narrow in on what is causing the connection loss.

Please restart NinjaTrader after each set of steps and try connecting again.
    • Begin by restarting your Modem, Router, and PC to refresh the internet connection.
    • Connect your PC directly to the Modem with an Ethernet cable if possible.
    • Ensure that NinjaTrader has been allowed through the Windows Firewall on all networks. Please follow along with this infographic:
    • Ensure that NinjaTrader has been added to any 'Exceptions' or 'Allowed Programs/Apps' kind of list within your antivirus software.
      • If you need to add NinjaTrader manually, the file path is as follows:
        • This PC > Local Disk (C > Program Files > NinjaTrader 8 > bin > NinjaTrader.exe
    • If you are using a VPN, turn it Off
    • Clear your DNS
      • Open the Command Prompt by clicking the Windows icon and typing "Command"
      • Select 'Command Prompt'
      • Either copy and paste or type the following command: ipconfig /flushdns
      • Press Enter to make it run

If you continue to experience unwanted connection loss issues, instead of responding here, it would be best for you to send an email directly to our support team with your log and trace files so we may investigate further.
    • Within NinjaTrader, go to the Control Center > Help > Email Support...
    • To: Set this to "Platform Technical Support"
    • Subject: Copy and paste the Forum URL
    • Attach: Attach a file, picture, or compressed file to share multiple files/pictures
    • Body: Include any other information you would like to share on the situation
    • Make sure 'Log and Trace files' is checked to include the requested files
      • Send the email
    ​Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Did you miss the part where I said its been confirmed internally at Ninjatrader that your own historical price servers for FXCM are disconnecting at the same time? I don't need to troubleshoot my own connection and "restart my modem"!

Comment

Hello pmn100,

Thank you for the message.

Since you didn't write in with your log and trace files for us to look at directly, we want to ensure we are providing a robust answer to ensure it covers all possible reasons for a random disconnect.
        • You could coincidentally be experiencing a connection loss issue around the same time the Historical data servers lose connection.

To write out all possible reasons, I also provided network steps in case you happen to be having local network issues at the same time as the Historical Data Server outages.

Until you write into our support team directly with your Log and Trace files, we cannot know for sure what caused something and I don't want to go down the incorrect rabbit hole.

As suggested, you could also reach out to FXCM directly and see if they have any further information on what could be causing your platform to lose the connection from their servers.

If you have any further questions, please use the following steps to send your log and trace files to the support team directly from your NinjaTrader Platform so we may investigate this behavior further:
        • Within NinjaTrader, go to the Control Center > Help > Email Support...
        • To: Set this to "Platform Technical Support"
        • Subject: Copy and paste the Forum URL
        • Attach: Attach a file, picture, or compressed file to share multiple files/pictures
        • Body: Include any other information you would like to share on the situation
        • Make sure 'Log and Trace files' is checked to include the requested files
          • Send the email
        ​Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
        Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

You could coincidentally be experiencing a connection loss issue around the same time the Historical data servers lose connection.
          That certainly would be a coincidence wouldn't it! I've been churned through the Ninjatrader support mill over this issue and read that copy and paste reply too many times. I'm simply reaching out to other FXCM users here.

Comment

As far as internal support goes, Luis is aware of this issue and Maria got round to figuring it out, but its still happening and no updates.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by rbeckmann05, Today, 06:48 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post rbeckmann05  
            Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post dp8282