Blank error when loading backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank error when loading backup

As the title states, I get a blank error when trying to import a backup to my new computer.

Anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

Attached Files

Hello Steegee,

Thank you for the message.

This means that there is something within the NinjaTrader files on the original PC this backup file was exported from that is corrupting the overall backup file.

To Investigate which part is corrupted, you will export multiple backups where you only have 1 box/setting checked at a time.
    1. Go back to the Original PC > disconnect > Then, go to the Tools menu > Export > Backup
    2. Check the "Configuration Files" box only > Export the backup > Save it as "Configuration only" > Click save
      • Do this for the Database files, NinjaScript Files, Templates, and Workspaces
    3. You can use the same PC to check which section is corrupted. Go to the Tools > Import menu, and then select the first backup file and test if it allows the import window to appear or if it gives the error message.
      • If the import window appears, that file isn't corrupted and you can just click Cancel
      • Repeat this process until it gives the error instead of the Import window. Then, you will know the corrupted file exists within there.
        • When I've seen this recently, it has ended up being the Templates folder that holds the corruption. However, it could be one of the other parts.
    Once you narrow in on which part of the backup file was corrupted, you can use the steps below to remove all of the files from there, so the backup works.
    • Close NinjaTrader
    • Go to the Documents Folder > NinjaTrader 8 > Right-click on the offending folder > Rename it to "Foldername Old"
      • For example, if you found the Templates folder was the corrupted one, you would right-click on the "templates" folder in here and rename it to "templates old"

Once you pull the folder out, please follow the steps below to Repair the Installation of NinjaTrader:
    • Close NinjaTrader
    • Go to the Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features (Sometimes "Uninstall a program") > Click NinjaTrader > Click "Repair"
    • Click Next through the prompts until it is Finished and it is done
    From here, you can now export a backup file and it not be corrupted.

If you want to narrow in on the specific file that was causing the corruption, you can manually move your files back in 1-by-1 and then export another backup with that folder checked and see if it is corrupted. If it becomes corrupted again, you will know it was the last file you brought back in.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks!

Looks like it was one of my Ninjascript assemblies. I manually moved everything from bin/Custom to the new computer and things seem to work so far

Only problem is all of my charted levels are gone. Any way to copy over a file or two to transfer my lines over? I tried to copy over the workspace files and NinjaTrader.sdf and NinjaTrader.sqlite but that didnt help.

Comment

Hello Steegee,

Thank you for the message.

You could manually copy over the "templates" folder as well.
        • If they were global drawing objects, they would have been saved under "templates > GlobalDrawingObject"

If you manually move things, the important folders are under Documents > NinjaTrader 8:
        • Config file > This is your connection information and holds the 3rd party references
        • UI File > This holds some smaller things like recently used instruments
        • db folder > NinjaTrader file > This holds custom instrument information and historical trades for 3rd party accounts.
        • Workspaces Folder > This holds all your workspaces
        • Templates Folder > This holds all of the Templates throughout the platform
        • bin folder > This holds all of the custom 3rd party add-on files

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
        Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by AaronKoRn, Today, 09:49 PM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post AaronKoRn  
        Started by carnitron, Today, 08:42 PM
        0 responses