Error importing NinjaTrader Backup file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error importing NinjaTrader Backup file

I am getting this error when importing NinjaTrader Backup file (see image below) The Backup file was created as an Export > Backup File in NinjaTrader 8 same platform as the import one not sure why I'm getting this message. Then NT platform crashes. Please advice. Urgent!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup Error.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1281380

Hello Dsigner01,

Thank you for the message.

This means the backup file was made with compile errors in it, or restoring the NinjaScript files would result in compile errors.

The easiest thing would be to re-import your desired add-ons to ensure they are installed properly and do not cause any additional errors.

Otherwise, you could manually convert the backup file to a compressed file, manually grab the bin folder, and move it to the new/current installation.
    • Find the backup file
    • Right-click and Rename the file > Change the file extension from .nt8bk to .zip > Click Yes to change the file type
    • Now, Extract the files from the compressed folder
    • Copy the bin folder > Then, go to Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Then Paste the bin folder here
      • When it asks, click on "Skip"
    Once it's done moving things over, you can reopen NinjaTrader and resolve the resulting compile errors.

You may use the following steps to see where the compile errors are coming from and send that in your response so we may provide more detailed information on how to resolve them:
    • Open NinjaTrader
    • Go to the Control Center > New > NinjaScript Editor > Right-click on the background > Click Compile
    • If any errors appear, make the window full screen and then send us a screenshot of as many of the errors as possible.
      • If you are unsure of how to take a screenshot, I recommend using the Windows Snipping tool.
        • Click on the Windows Icon at the bottom of your screen and type the word "Snip"
        • Click on the Snipping tool, click New, then click and drag around the area you want to screenshot
        • Click File > Save As > Save the screenshot where you can find it
        • Please click here for a video demonstration
    Once we have the screenshot we would be able to respond with the specific steps that are needed to make these compile errors go away.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.​
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Clayton,
      Seems like a lot of work. When the Backup file was created there was no uncompiled scripts I made sure of it. Seems that if there were NT8 should warn you before proceeding to create the Backup file. Now I lost all my custom indicators and strategies. Please advise.

Comment

Hello designer01,

Then this would imply that importing the add-ons into the current system will result in compile errors so it won't let you bring them in.

Those are the steps if you want to pull the add-ons from this backup file. Otherwise, you can reimport your add-ons from the .zip files.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.

Comment

Hi Clayton,
          I think the latest new NinjaTrader update 8.1.2.1 is causing issues. Can you give me instructions how to completely uninstall current version and install a fresh previous NT8 version. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by designer01 View Post
            Hi Clayton,
            I think the latest new NinjaTrader update 8.1.2.1 is causing issues. Can you give me instructions how to completely uninstall current version and install a fresh previous NT8 version. Thank you.
            I've just reverted to an 8.0 installation, and I have compile errors trying to import scripts I used to use. And all of my custom indicators and strategies etc are gone.

So please be aware of that as you move ahead.

Just a fix everything day for me today. FFS

EDIT: I should add, that I have used NT for many many years and it worked very well. A few hiccups, but legit was a great platform for over 7+ years (transitioning to 8 was fine for me). This new update had the charts start freezing on me so it pushed me to revert.
            Last edited by TraderG23; 12-08-2023, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Hello designer01,

This is no longer relevant to the initial cause for this post. Please create a new forum post with your new question or find another forum post where this has already been discussed.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Graci117, Today, 09:02 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 07:55 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes