• Show
Clear All

Too long range error - trade performance window

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	147
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1278174what is this error means ?
    it when i try to generate a longer than a few months of activity in the trade performance window,.

Hello dadarara,

Thank you for your inquiry and for your post!

This message means that you are trying to run a report over too long of a date range in the Trade Performance window. You will need to shorten the date range that you are attempting to run a report over. Generally, I would expect that you would be able to run a report over a range of just above 60 days between the start and end dates.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi
      the range I am able to run it successfully is 30 days .
      this is a problem.. even 60 days if it was possible should be considered unacceptable.
      even Excel can handle much more information than this.
      what is the reason for the limitation ?
      how can I improve it?
      worst case scenario, how can I extract the data to external DB?

Comment

Hello dadarara,

Thank you for your response.

There wouldn't be a way to circumvent the limitation in the platform, but you can export the data to an Excel sheet. After running your report, it's possible to export the data as either a CSV or XLSX file. To do this, you'd generate your report by selecting your preferred start date and end date and selecting 'Generate'. You'd then choose the display that you'd like to export from the 'Display' drop down. You'd then right-click on the background of the display and select 'Export'. I'd suggest exporting as a CSV file so that the columns are formatted as numbers, rather than as text. I've included a brief video demonstration of the steps above at the link below;

(Please note, you may want to apply a filter if you are trying to export trades from a single account but have placed trades to multiple accounts on the date(s) of the report)

Please let us know if we may assist you any further in the future.​

Comment

I hope you do realize that this is unacceptable . it shouldnt be the case where I need to run month by month report and export it to EXCEL every time.
          this should not be a limit to the report. at least not for a year of data maybe. but not a MONTH !!!

Comment

Hello dadarara,

I've forwarded your feedback to our Development team to consider for the future.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have to chime in here and call BS, that you simply cannot run a report longer than 30 or 60 days. I started searching for this because I started getting this on one of two machines that I recently upgraded from 8.0.28 to 8.1.2.1. On 8.0.28, I have never seen this limitation or this message.

Since going to 8.1.2.1, one of these machines get this message when trying to more than 30 or 60 days at a time. I can do that window anywhere in the past, but get this error when doing any window larger than 30 or 60 days.

On the other machine (also 8.1.2.1 upgraded at the same time), I can pull a range from 01/01/2015 through today 12/14/2023. I get my ***entire*** DB history of trades. ALL 10,855 OF THEM. From 01/25/2023 through 12/14/2023.

Like I said, I nave **never** had this issue in the past on 8.0.28. Or any version prior to the step up to 8.1 for that matter. On the machine getting this error now, I have an export I did on 12/08/2023 (prior to the upgrade) that has 3,386 trades going back to 01/08/2023 across a history of (21) APEX Evals & PA's. (3) Sim accounts, and (1) live NJT brokerage account.

Don't tell me it can't be done.

This is a bug.
              Last edited by GrumpyDude; 12-14-2023, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Hello GrumpyDude,

It is not a bug. The difference between 8.1.2.1 and 8.0.28.0 is that this data is no longer stored on the local database file and comes from a server on our end. This allows for a more centralized report and eliminates the loss of trade data that used to come with resetting the local database file. One trade off is that the server cannot run reports over the same range of time as the local database previously could. I'd be happy to enter a feature request for access to more dates of data on your behalf, however.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.

Comment

Ok... Sure. Toss my hat in the pile for a feature request. A feature request to return a functionality that was unceremoniously and covertly ripped away from us.

I can appreciate not losing data with a DB reset but if you can't access that data easily, it is pretty useless. And by easily I mean not having to run a report and export on 30 or 60 day window chunks. A manual process having to pull of 8 or 10 chunk reports/exports for a year? That's a recipe for losing data in and of itself. And to your point of a centralized report... A hobbled centralized report is useless. And centralized to what?!? My **one** trading PC?

This absolutely destroys the ability to use the Trade Performance function for long term analysis. The capabilities of this function to provide Strategy Analyzer type of analysis of actual trades was invaluable. Having it handcuffed in this way, it is now effectively useless.

Whoever thought this was an acceptable tradeoff, should have their paycheck equally hobbled.

I could see a server having a limitation like this in 1990, but 2024?

I certainly hope that this doesn't mean that Strategy Analyzer & back testing is going to be hobbled with limitations like this.

Comment

Hello GrumpyDude,

Thank you for your feedback.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I've submitted the feature request to our Development team on your behalf and this request is assigned the internal tracking ID NT-12177. I did want to just clarify a few things from the concerns that you mentioned, just to address some of the points that you raised:
                    1. When I say 'centralized', what I mean is that this report now pulls data from the account itself so trades made on any PC, web, or mobile platform will be included for that NinjaTrader Brokerage account. Previously, the trade performance report was limited to only being able to pull data from the local installation of the platform that you were using at the time. In the past, this was a major source of discrepancies for users in the reports and often caused them to be out of sync with a user's statement.
                    2. The Strategy Analyzer and backtesting are not affected by the change that was made to the trade performance reporting.
                    Thanks again for your feedback on this matter.

Comment

Thanks for that, Zachary. Good to know Strategy Analyzer is not affected.

I can certainly appreciate the centralized aspect of the DB as I have lost some history in moving my DB back and forth between a home and travelling machine. Mostly forgetting to move it back when getting home! But we need to be able to see more than a peek-a-boo look at the data!

Comment

A bit of information on this... In the context of the issue discussed in this post:
                        I was told that *only* NinjaTrader Brokerage account trades are pulled from the server and everything else is local. With this in mind I did some testing...

I have a machine that has Apex Tradovate, Apex Rithmic, and NjT Brokerage connections, and data from each, AND Sim account data. This machine is giving this error.​

These are pulling reports from {some random date in 2017} thru 12/22/2023 (Data goes back to 01/08/2023)
                        • Connected to Apex ToV, Apex Rithmic, & NjT Brkg
                          • Error
                        • Connected to Apex ToV & Apex Rithmic
                          • Error
                        • Connected to ApexToV & NjT Brkg
                          • Error
                        • Connected to Apex ToV
                          • Error
                        • Connected to Apex Rithmic
                          • No Error
                        • Connected to NjT Brkg
                          • No Error
                        • Connected to *None*
                          • No Error - Report pulled same as when connected.
                            • It is important to note that the NjT Brkg Account has activity prior to AND after the upgrade to 8.1.2.1.
                            • It is also important to note that this installation was upgraded *for the explicit purpose* of the Apex ToV account connection.
                        I have another machine that has only an Apex Rithmic connection:

These are pulling reports from {some random date in 2017} thru 12/22/2023 (Data goes back to 01/25/2023)
                        • Connected to Rithmic
                          • No Error
                        • Connected to *None*
                          • No Error - Report pulls same as when connected
                        Well, maybe more than a bit of information, but hopefully it helps someone out.

Comment

Hello GrumpyDude,

My apologies for any misunderstanding. Your observations are due to the connection types being used. Basically, any accounts (either NinjaTrader Brokerage or Evaluation service accounts) that rely on the new NinjaTrader adapter are affected as they all generate reporting from the server. Rithmic-based accounts or accounts that are using the NinjaTrader Continuum adapter would be unaffected since they continue to use the local database method that was previously used to track trade performance. If you are connected to both a Rithmic-based account and an account that uses the new adapter at the same time and try to generate a report, the error will still be produced since one of the accounts is trying to pull that data from the server.

Comment

Good to know, Zachary... Thank you.

Perhaps this will help someone.

We still need this server to behave NOT like it's in the 17th century and allow us to pull useful amounts of data. Like at least 12 or 18 months. Or cache it locally... Or **something**.

Comment

GrumpyDude I have also recently discovered this issue and am likewise surprised and disappointed. One thing that may help...I did notice you mentioned:

Originally posted by GrumpyDude View Post
                              It is also important to note that this installation was upgraded *for the explicit purpose* of the Apex ToV account connection.
                              You may be interested to know it is possible to run the Apex Tradovate connection on NT 8.0.28...but it won't have access to Trade Performance data for Tradovate accounts, so that may negate any usefulness for you.

I just thought it might be helpful info for someone, as I was always told that Tradovate accounts required NT 8.1.xx. But if the user doesn't need access within the NinjaTrader platform to the trade history for those accounts, then moving to a later version isn't necessary. (Tradovate account trade history you just have to view within the Tradovate Performance Center tab, or by generating a report.)

The only limitation I have found when using 8.0.28 with a Tradovate connection is that if you connect, and subsequently purchase a new evaluation account that same day, you will likely be unable to connect again until the next trading session (i.e. after 18:00 ET). Sometimes you can reconnect, but often it won't work until the new session. Outside of that, it seems fine.
                              Last edited by tradgrad; 01-23-2024, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bidder
                              by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes