Unkown network activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unkown network activity

My NT8 is not even connected to any provider ( Broker or data ) and still, it has often unexpected network activity, which I can't understand.

With whom does NT8 do network activity?
    What kind of info is interchanging? Why?

Hello pstrusi,

Thank you for the message.

The NinjaTrader Platform has a few different servers it will reach out to when opening to verify various information like the Licensing Servers and Information Servers which it needs to verify the user and the instrument information within the platform and update anything if needed.

There is also a "Watch" feature that allows users to see when a Webinar is active which causes some network data to be transferred as well.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Clayton, thanks for the time to answer a not urgent matter.

I can understand the "phone home" to check the license, certain personal info, and instrument info, once at a day, but constantly?.
      - What possible personal info does need Ninjatrader to check during the day? I ask this cause not only there's personal info coming out of my platform, but also the network activity makes my connection slower if I have an intraday Algo.

Looking forward. As you probably understand, personal info is always a sensitive subject.

Comment

Do you have any 3rd-party AddOns installed?

Comment

Hello pstrusi,

Thank you for the message.

The local NinjaTrader platform only holds your Username and Password. All of the account information in your platform is only sent into the platform once it actively connects to your Broker from your broker.

Throughout the day, if you see the platform causing network activity, it is most likely from the Webinar Watch button.

The NinjaTrader Platform has no direct controls or ways to change how it utilizes the network. If NinjaTrader needs to access the internet for a feature to work, it will. If you deny it access and things stop working, then you would want to give the access back.

NinjaTrader is rarely limited by network speed. It is more often an issue of Network Stability.
          • However, if you find that you have a 3rd party add-on or something that requires you to have a faster network connection, then you could look into upgrading your internet speed.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.

Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Bitdavid: No, I don't have any 3rd party or addons at all, just my data.

Clayton: Once again, thanks for the response. Noted it.

Comment

@pstrusi
              ”but also the network activity makes my connection slower if I have an intraday Algo.”

So with this statement it appears that you are saying it (the network activity you have identified) IS causing (the cause of) you a problem.
              Hence whilst there are thousands of posts on this Forum which contradict the statement “NinjaTrader is rarely limited by network speed. It is more often an issue of Network Stability” what’s important to you is that in your case you believe it is so.

Save yourself some time and frustration - if you think you’ve found a ‘smoking gun’ with this network activity caused by the Watch Button, search the Forum using that term, my username etc and you’ll find several threads on the subject including instructions for blocking the IP address being polled in your router (Support will resist helping by providing you with this). You can then block this network activity and ascertain whether, or not, it is the cause of making your connection slower and proceed from there.
              Per the advice, if you find it is the cause of slowing your connection - but blocking it causes you other problems you are then stuck with the unenviable position of no choice but to allow an unnecessary ‘Feature’ you do not want or need which prevents your setup from performing satisfactorily.
              I’m unaware of anyone reporting a problem as a result of blocking it, however.
              Good luck!
              Last edited by brucerobinson; 11-13-2023, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by i2ogu3, Today, 11:31 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post i2ogu3
              by i2ogu3

Started by RDTrader16, Today, 10:19 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes