Matching ^VIX bars to ES bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching ^VIX bars to ES bars

If I am using bars of variable time length (like tick/volume) to chart ES, is there a way to add index tickers like the ^VIX to a second panel so that it uses the same bar delineations? So it won't affect the spacing and presentation of the ES bars?

I know I could create a custom indicator that displays the ^VIX values, but I'm asking about easily doing this out of the box with NT's base charting. Or using an included indicator. Just something easier than custom.

Comment

Hello,
      Thank you for your post.

It's possible to horizontally apply multiple data series in a chart. They can be of different time frames and/or different instruments. Each data series would be loaded into its on panel within the chart window. Please see https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...AddADataSeries

You can add multiple data series to a chart in two ways:

1 — Type on your ES chart a plus sign (+) then instrument (for example: ^VIX). So it would look like this: +^VIX

2 — Right click in the background of the chart window and select "Data Series". Use the Instrument Selector or the Search Tool above the "Applied" section in the Data Series window to select a new Data Series. Configure the Data Series' parameters as desired in the "Properties" section, then click the OK button.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.
      Oxana R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Right, but what I mean is there will be a different amount and frequency of bars because of the fact I am using tick/volume for ES and there is no tick/volume for ^VIX. (and if there was, it would be for a different instrument).

I can only choose time for ^VIX? There is no way to synch ^VIX to non-time based ES?

Before:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	43
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1274506

After:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	57
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1274505

Comment

Hello,
          Thank you for the note.

^VIX is the index, not a tradable instrument.
          A Volume bar is based on a specific number of units traded (volume). So there is no Volume for ^VIX.

To view a tick chart, there's no way to do this within the same chart window for ES and ^VIX since they'll be using the Time Scale along the X axis of the primary data series.
          This would have to be 2 chart windows for you to have their own respective time scale.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
          Oxana R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post llanqui
          by llanqui

Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
          0 responses