Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Is there a way to use NT8 for ticker discovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to use NT8 for ticker discovery?

Ideally, I'd like to rifle through all the 3000+ tickers in the Nasdaq Composite and the 2400+ tickers in the NYSE Composite and access summary company details (market cap, float size, etc.) so I can categorize them.

Is this possible with any APIs provided by NT8? I'm not seeing evidence so far, so I thought I'd ask.

Is there a way to get either the Nasdaq Composite or the NYSE Composite to show up in the Instrument Lists window? (Without typing in all 5400+ tickers myself, hah.) Also, the Russell 2000.

Another option would be for me to scrape these ticker lists from somewhere on the internet and roll my own instrument list mechanism. If I did this, is there a way to import the results into the Instrument Lists window in NT8 from code? (Not that it would be necessary at this point, given that I'd already have the instruments in my code, but it would be nice to be able to see them from the UI.)

Cheers.

FWIW, you can get a free account and get these lists here:

All Stocks Listed on The NASDAQ Stock Exchange in The US - Stock Analysis
    Last edited by carnitron; 09-27-2023, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Hello carnitron,

Thanks for your post.

NinjaTrader does not have a feature available to scan through all 3000+ instruments in the Nasdaq or the 2400+ instruments in the NYSE Composite and access a summary of company details to categorize them.

No, NinjaTrader will show some of the more popular instruments in the Instrument Selector drop-down menu. If you are looking for a specific instrument not listed in the Instrument Selector drop-down menu then you would need to type the name of the instrument in. You could also browse the Tools > Instruments window to locate information about a specific instrument by searching for the instrument you want to view information about.

You could add instruments to NinjaTrader but this would need to be done manually as there is no supported way to add an instrument to NinjaTrader or NinjaTrader's Instrument Lists through code.

See this help guide page about Managing Instruments: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...e_database.htm

See this help guide page about Importing a List of Stock Symbols: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...stock_symb.htm

See this help guide page about Working with Instrument Lists: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ment_lists.htm
      Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for all the concise answers Brandon. In light of this info, I'll be rolling my own, which should be pretty quick anyway.

Comment

Hello carnitron,

While this is unsupported code, creating an instrument list programmatically is possible.

Code:
          // (Due to versioning with server updates, do not modify lists supplied with nt)
          if (NinjaTrader.Cbi.InstrumentList.All.FirstOrDefault (il => il.Name == "Custom List") == null)
          {
          NinjaTrader.Cbi.InstrumentList customList = new NinjaTrader.Cbi.InstrumentList();
          customList.Name = "Custom List";
          customList.Instruments.Add(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrum ent.GetInstrument("AAPL", true));
          customList.Instruments.Add(NinjaTrader.Cbi.Instrum ent.GetInstrument("MSFT", true));
          customList.DbPersist();
          }
          Note, the code above is not documented or officially supported, and is a use-at-your-own-risk tip.​
          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ah, thank you for that Chelsea, will use! Very much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 06:05 PM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post ETFVoyageur  
            Started by TAJTrades, 04-28-2024, 09:46 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes