Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Windows on Mac

Hi,
    I have apple desktop & I am unable to install Desktop Ninja trader edition. I want to install windows on my Mac. Do you have links that you can share with me to do that. I want to enjoy the full functionality of Ninja trader

Hello Jayjo,

Thank you very much for your post.

While we would not be able to assist with installing Windows on a Mac, you have two options to access NinjaTrader when using macOS:

1 - You can use NinjaTrader Web. To do this simply go to the NinjaTrader Account Dashboard, log in, and click "Trade" on the left-hand panel.

2 - You can also use virtualization software to use a Windows application on macOS. While we do not officially support this; we have had many clients run NinjaTrader on Mac hardware.

We have specific installation instructions for Parallels and VMWare Fusion, allowing you to run NinjaTrader on your Mac. Below you will find instructions specific to the available options of running NinjaTrader on a Mac computer with the virtualization tools. Please note that Windows is sold separately from Parallels and VMWare.

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for Parallels

When installing NinjaTrader on a Mac using Parallels users will need to ensure that the following steps have been taken prior to the installation of NinjaTrader.
    1. Start Parallels and select your virtual machine
    2. Press the "Configure" button on the top
    3. Under "Options", select "Sharing"
    4. Uncheck "Share Mac" under "Share Mac User Folders with Windows"
    5. Press "OK" and start the virtual machine

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for VMWare Fusion:

When configuring NinjaTrader on a Mac running VMWare, users will need to ensure that the following steps have been taken prior to the installation of NinjaTrader.
    1. Start VMWare and select your virtual machine
    2. Press the "Settings" button on the bottom
    3. Under "System Settings", select "Sharing"
    4. Uncheck "Documents" from the "Mirrored Folders" list
    5. Close the "Settings" window and start the virtual machine

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Jayjo View Post
      Hi,
      I have apple desktop & I am unable to install Desktop Ninja trader edition. I want to install windows on my Mac. Do you have links that you can share with me to do that. I want to enjoy the full functionality of Ninja trader
      I've done it on my macbook with parallels, but it made my macbook sound like a plane with all the fans at max speed and NT kept freezing. I ended up selecting ninjmobiletrader vps for running ninjatrader desktop on my mac, and couldn't be happier with it, and also very nice to switch to ipad with my Apex Rithmic account as well. Give that a try if you're having trouble with it on your Mac

Comment

Can you please elaborate more on this process? If you can explain the steps, that will be very helpful

Comment

Hello Jayjo,

Thank you for the message.

This error normally indicates that the user is on a Mac computer using Parallels that has not been configured as needed for NinjaTrader to run as expected.
          • This would mean the Windows side of the computer is sharing its files with the Mac side of the computer, and this has been known to cause a variety of unwanted behaviors.
          • To move forward, you will want to perform the steps below to fully separate the Windows and Mac sides of the computer and then reinstall NinjaTrader.
            • Unfortunately, these steps will result in a fresh installation of NinjaTrader without any of your prior settings and will need to be reconfigured from scratch. If you need further information on how to back up these settings to bring into the new installation, please let us know and we will provide those steps.

Please perform the following steps yourself, or provide the steps and information below to Parallels and have them help you do the settings as needed:

When installing NinjaTrader on a Mac using Parallels users will need to ensure that the following steps have been taken prior to the installation of NinjaTrader.
          • Start Parallels and select your virtual machine
          • Press the "Configure" button on the top
          • Under "Options", select "Sharing"
          • Uncheck "Share Mac" under "Share Mac User Folders with Windows"
            • This is an important step, please make sure this is done
            • Uncheck any other settings talking about "Sharing" or "Mirroring" between the Mac and Windows side of the PC.
            • The goal here is to set Parallels up so that the Windows side of the computer runs and functions the same as a standalone Windows PC would function.
            • The Documents folder needs to route to C:\Users\*Userhere\Documents\
              • NOT \\mac
          • Press "OK" and restart the virtual machine
            • Once you are able to launch Parallels and the Windows Installation functions like a normal Windows computer, NinjaTrader support will be able to help you further.

After performing the steps above, you will just need to uninstall and then reinstall NinjaTrader again and you should be ready to move forward.

Please use the steps below to download and install NinjaTrader 8:
          • Login into the NinjaTrader Account Dashboard
          • Click "Download" in the bottom left-hand corner of the sidebar
          • Next select "Download" in the "Most Recent Release" Window in the main screen
          • Once the installation had downloaded, ensure any previous version of NinjaTrader is closed before running the installation package.
            • Note: You may need to locate this in your "Downloads" folder in a Windows File Explorer
          • After the installation package is completed you will be able to log into NinjaTrader Desktop with the connection guide linked below.

From here you are ready to set up a connection to Market Data and begin using the platform.

Please see the link below to find the connection guide for your Broker or Market Data Provider:
          If you need any further help or details on the steps to take on the Mac side of your PC, you will need to reach out to Parallels directly for further help configuring the settings as needed to work with NinjaTrader.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.​
          Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by geddyisodin, 04-25-2024, 05:20 AM
          8 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
          Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
          4 responses