Stop loss is instantly hit when Auto trail is triggered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop loss is instantly hit when Auto trail is triggered

I'm pretty sure my stop loss is too tight, but I figured I would ask anyway just in case..

For example:

Auto Trail:
    Stop loss: 1
    Profit Trigger: 5
    Frequency: 10

My goal is to set my new stop loss in the profit at 4 ticks once 5 ticks of profit is hit. Whenever 5 ticks hits, even if the price blows by 5 ticks to something like 12 or 20 ticks, the auto trail will still trigger and take profit at 4 ticks of profit. Is there a way to stop that from happening or is the stop just too tight? Is there any way to get this strategy working (maybe using ninjascript)? Or is it just not possible?

Hello amourp,

Thank you for the message.

You could use the Auto-breakeven to have it move to +4 Ticks when the market moves 5 ticks in your favor.
    • Using the Auto-Breakeven, set the Profit Trigger to 5 and the Plus to 4
    • After the market moves 5 ticks in your favor, it would move the stop Target once to be at +4 ticks from breakeven

Having the Stop Loss set to 1 for the auto-trail is extremely tight and is very susceptible to having the market turn around and go beyond the Stop Target before everything is moved.
    • If you keep getting errors from this Stop Strategy about either Stop Order being on the wrong side or the OCO ID cannot be reused, you will want to keep increasing the Auto-Trail's "Stop Loss" setting until it is not as tight and not running into errors anymore.

Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I'll give it a try.

What's the difference between auto trail and auto breakeven? It seems like both of those would accomplish the same thing and run into the same issue of the stop loss auto triggering on profit trigger.

Comment

Hello amourp,

Thank you for the update.

The Auto-Breakeven will only move the Stop Target once.

The Auto-Trail will continue to move the Stop Target as the market moves in your favor possibly moving it multiple times.
        Either of these could technically run into the issue of where it pulls the Stop Target so close to the current market price that the stop target is placed on the incorrect side.
        • But, since the Auto-breakeven only moves once, this only gives the opportunity to hit the error once.
        • Since the Auto-trail potentially moves multiple times, every time it is moved is another chance for the Stop Target to be placed on the incorrect side when moved.

So, the one you want to use is completely up to you. With either one, if you are getting the previously mentioned errors, you would want to increase the distance from the current market price that the Stop Loss target is placed until the error is no longer hit.

Please follow along with this publicly available video that goes over the Stop Strategies specifically for a review of these features:

Comment

Is there a way to automatically have NT add on more contracts should my trade go 10 ticks in the red? I want to add 2 contracts with my profit take for those contracts being the entry for my original trade.

Comment

Hello amourp,

Thank you for the message.

When using ATM Strategies, there is no way to have the NinjaTrader Platform automatically add in additional contracts after the market has moved a specified number of Ticks.

You could technically go in and put an additional order for 2 contracts at the price you want to enter with the additional contracts, and if the market makes it down there, the orders would be triggered to enter the additional positions.

Otherwise, you could create an automated NinjaScript Strategy to place and manage the orders as you desire.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:55 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post bltdavid  
            Started by port119, Today, 02:43 PM
            0 responses
            1 view